Thread poster: Anninili
Anninili
Anninili
Local time: 00:34
English to German
+ ...
Jul 2

Hi everyone,

I have a question about how to manage en and em dashes. I recently upgraded from Trados 19 to Trados 22 (I know, I'm a bit late to the party, but that was not my decision ). Our documentation team works with FrameMaker 22, so I'm processing MIF files for the translation. For about 15 years, Trados has replaced en and em dashes with hyphens (at least for MIF files). There's even a setting in the setup that
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have a question about how to manage en and em dashes. I recently upgraded from Trados 19 to Trados 22 (I know, I'm a bit late to the party, but that was not my decision ). Our documentation team works with FrameMaker 22, so I'm processing MIF files for the translation. For about 15 years, Trados has replaced en and em dashes with hyphens (at least for MIF files). There's even a setting in the setup that says so. We were really happy with this, and our entire 15-year-old TM is filled this way.

But now, with Trados 22, it doesn't work like that anymore. It replaces en and em dashes with tags. It's pretty frustrating because a lot of my 100% matches aren't 100% anymore. So I'm going through old translations and replacing hyphens with tags (or not, depending). It's really time-consuming. The TM is full of duplicate entries (I try to avoid this, but I'm only human, sometimes I just click okay). This happens while I'm preparing the translation for our new release, so I'm under time pressure. I did some testing before we started our big project, but somehow the en and em dashes got missed.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Is there some hidden setting I'm not aware of? It might be because the parameters on the "Setup" GUI in German are pretty tricky to match with the description in the English help pages. Any ideas on how to work around it? Or do I just need to go through it as a punishment for not testing it more thoroughly?

The manual actually says:
'Display special characters as text - extracts special characters as text. When this option is disabled, special characters are extracted as a Char tag instead. EmDash and EnDash are always extracted as text. ' We always have this option disabled, but of course I tried with the function enabled, it was worse then (all special characters were text, exactly as the function is described)

Has anyone already started using Trados 24? How does the setting work there? (But I'm not planning to switch to a new release during a major project.)

Thanks
Anneliese
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:34
English to Russian
Process unsupported file version Jul 2

Have you tried to tick the 'Process unsupported file version' option?
Also, can you share the problem file or any sample MIF22 file with n/m dashes?

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that already... Jul 2

Yes, I tried that setting, but it didn't change anything. I can also prepare a file (it affects nearly all of our files, especially legacy files, as we had a coworker who used the en/em dashes excessively ). I'm not sure how to share it, though.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:34
English to Russian
Email me Jul 2

You can email it to me at kstepan8 at gmail.com

Alternatively, you can ask your question here: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio
There is a pale text field that reads "Write a short subject title for your question or discussion". Type the subject of your issue and click Post. Next window will
... See more
You can email it to me at kstepan8 at gmail.com

Alternatively, you can ask your question here: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio
There is a pale text field that reads "Write a short subject title for your question or discussion". Type the subject of your issue and click Post. Next window will appear where you can type the entire query. (Most probably they would like to see the file too.)
That is a free RWS help forum where developers can help you directly.
Collapse

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 2

Oh God, thank you so much! I've been working so happily and almost without problems in my 2019 bubble for the past few years that I completely forgot where I can look for bugs, etc. or ask questions.

Thanks for the tip, I'll create a file later and send it to you if you want to have a look. And I'll post there too!

Thanks again
Anneliese

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MIF 22 +Trados 22: en and em dashes turned into tags instead into hyphens

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »