Pagine:   < [1 2]
Subtitles which leave out subtle but significant elements of dialogue could be missing out on important character traits, according to a University of Huddersfield linguistics expert
George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 11:24
Da Svedese a Inglese
You know Jun 1, 2012

One lives and learns Tom, even in London...

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 11:24
Da Francese a Inglese
sure! Jun 1, 2012

Faustine Roux wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

Especially as the sub-titles and dubbed dialogue had clearly not been translated by the same person!

Because dubbing and subtitling are two different techniques and have different parameters. That's totally normal, and even a good sign, if the subtitles differ from the dubbed version. But I don't think a "yes" in one version should become a "no" in the other...

[Modifié le 2012-06-01 13:37 GMT]

I can quite understand that it wouldn't be the same person, and I don't know that there was really anything seriously wrong with either translation. The problem was really more technical than linguistic in that normally you would either have one or the other but not both.

I agree that it's better to frame the question to get an affirmative answer if that's what the source has, simply because the body language will mostly fit better. The slightest of nods or shakes could produce a jarring sensation if the spoken or written text doesn't match it. In this instance it wasn't actually any big deal, the question was not "Did you kill her?", it just distracted my attention somewhat. I mentioned it afterwards but nobody else had been in the least bothered, but then, they weren't translators

Matthew Olson
Matthew Olson
Giappone
Local time: 18:24
Da Giapponese a Inglese
To Matthew Jun 2, 2012

JoelD wrote:

Matthew: FYI the woman who does all the subtitling is Natsuko Toda
Wikipedia page (Japanese)

Thanks for the link, Joel!

Christine Andersen wrote:
I would hate to see subtitling get a bad name, because I am sure dubbing is not always a better alternative - just suitable in different situations.

Agreed. I actually prefer subtitles when watching media in a language I don't speak, even knowing I'll probably get less information than a dub.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
Cina
Local time: 17:24
Da Cinese a Inglese
Related work on translated subtitles Jun 2, 2012

http://linguistlist.org/issues/23/23-1970.html

"The aim of this book is to study how politeness, and particularly face negotiation, is dealt with when subtitling between Chinese and English....The audience responses show that viewers who rely on subtitles gain a significantly different impression of the interlocutors' personality, attitude and intentions than those of native au
... See more
http://linguistlist.org/issues/23/23-1970.html

"The aim of this book is to study how politeness, and particularly face negotiation, is dealt with when subtitling between Chinese and English....The audience responses show that viewers who rely on subtitles gain a significantly different impression of the interlocutors' personality, attitude and intentions than those of native audiences."

Now here's a study that sounds like it's getting somewhere. Haven't read it, but at least it's making an attempt to be empirical.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasile
Local time: 06:24
Da Inglese a Portoghese
+ ...
In memoriam
Dubbing / subtitling Jun 3, 2012

Faustine Roux wrote:

Texte Style wrote:
Especially as the sub-titles and dubbed dialogue had clearly not been translated by the same person!

Because dubbing and subtitling are two different techniques and have different parameters. That's totally normal, and even a good sign, if the subtitles differ from the dubbed version. But I don't think a "yes" in one version should become a "no" in the other...

It's likely that the translators were different. I know very few colleagues who, like me, translate for both, either dubbing or subtitling. Yet I spent 18 years translating for dubbing only, before going into subtitling. No, one is not "more difficult" than the other, just basically the same setting and instruments with quite different techniques.

In dubbing, the original audio won't be there any longer, so sometimes we have to reinvent jokes or double entendres.

In other cases we have to dismantle the entire phrase and build something new that will convey the same message, because some expressions completely botch up metrics. My pet example is from all sales training videos: the short EN "customer needs" (3 syllables) becomes univocally the much longer PT "necessidades do cliente" (9 syllables, even longer in PT-BR that PT-PT, because in Brazil we DO pronounce all the vowels).

In subtitling, the original audio will be there, and conciseness is most essential, otherwise the spectator will be reading so much, that they'll watch no action at all.

I recently had to translate and subtitle a video I had translated for dubbing years ago. Though the dubbing was superb, great sync, I tried watching the dubbed video with the new subtitles I had created, it was as messy as it could get, since I had to radically change the phrasal structure in dubbing for the sake of metrics.

One rather famous dubber taught me: If the original actor stutters, stumbles in their speech, makes mistakes, and all that's not part of their role, it's OK. However if a dubber does it, even mimics it to perfection, that's perceived as sloppy work.

kmtext
kmtext
Regno Unito
Local time: 10:24
Inglese
+ ...
Money for old rope Jun 9, 2012

This study is rather pointless, and, to be honest, redundant. It's just common sense, but when has that ever stopped academics wasting money?

The company I used to work for conducted a consultation with the RNID and a viewer panel on this very topic and what it meant for users of broadcast subtitles about 15 years ago.

The consensus was that the panel felt the reading speed (550cpm) was too slow and that too much was edited out of the subtitles. They recommended an incr
... See more
This study is rather pointless, and, to be honest, redundant. It's just common sense, but when has that ever stopped academics wasting money?

The company I used to work for conducted a consultation with the RNID and a viewer panel on this very topic and what it meant for users of broadcast subtitles about 15 years ago.

The consensus was that the panel felt the reading speed (550cpm) was too slow and that too much was edited out of the subtitles. They recommended an increase in reading speed and less editing of the dialogue. The company took all of their recommendations on board and changed the house style accordingly. Many of the other subtitling houses in the country followed suit, and nowadays, subtitles are pretty much verbatim on most programmes.

Part of the problem is that the programmes he's looking at aren't particularly current, but if he did examine material that was done recently, it would be blatantly obvious that his research was a waste of time.
Collapse

Pagine:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitles which leave out subtle but significant elements of dialogue could be missing out on important character traits, according to a University of Huddersfield linguistics expert

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »