Useful findings in the development of speech and image recognition software

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Useful findings in the development of speech and image recognition software ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
Local time: 09:16
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Dragon's den Jun 28, 2012

I'd just be content if I could get my speech recog SW to recognise the difference between "or" and "are" in my accent...

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Irlandia
Local time: 08:16
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Dragon's den Jun 28, 2012

neilmac wrote:

I'd just be content if I could get my speech recog SW to recognise the difference between "or" and "are" in my accent...

Just try an Irish one

But I do think that Translation has less than a generation left (except for a small niche of insured practitioners who take professional responsibility for key Legal and Medical documents).

As for Interpreters, most of the work is 'gist only' and that's a red flag.

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Rosja
Local time: 10:16
włoski > rosyjski
+ ...
Female faces Jun 28, 2012

Sometimes it happens that when I pick up a photo of one of my daughters, I ask who it is? Dad! It's me! Shame on you!

david young
david young  Identity Verified
Francja
francuski > angielski
Dragon's den Jun 29, 2012

"But I do think that Translation has less than a generation left (except for a small niche of insured practitioners who take professional responsibility for key Legal and Medical documents). "

I wholly agree that translation will soon be mastered by machines, and when you think that translation is among the most difficult tasks for machines to master... We'd better start being nice to machines

[Edited at 2012-06-
... See more
"But I do think that Translation has less than a generation left (except for a small niche of insured practitioners who take professional responsibility for key Legal and Medical documents). "

I wholly agree that translation will soon be mastered by machines, and when you think that translation is among the most difficult tasks for machines to master... We'd better start being nice to machines

[Edited at 2012-06-29 15:40 GMT]
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Irlandia
Local time: 08:16
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Dragon's den Jun 30, 2012

david young wrote:

[Edited at 2012-06-29 15:40 GMT]

But no mere human will be able to pass their Igrunt (inverse Turing) test

Mark
Mark
włoski > angielski
Machine translation Jul 11, 2012

I’m rather taken aback by these predictions of the imminent mastery of translation by machines. I’m not convinced that humans have, so expecting computers to sort it out seems rather Utopian.

Decades ago people were worried about not knowing what to do with all the leisure time that technology would inevitably provide. Is it just my imagination or are pension ages rising across Europe?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Useful findings in the development of speech and image recognition software

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »