University team translates Firefox into Indian language in Paraguay

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "University team translates Firefox into Indian language in Paraguay".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 07:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Which "Indian" language? Feb 26, 2016

I see that they translated it into Guarani, but did they also translate it into an "Indian" language like the headline reads? If so, I wonder which one...Hindi?...Bengali?...Tamil?....etc.

Danielys Pulve Fernandez
Danielys Pulve Fernandez
Colombia
Local time: 06:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Indian Feb 26, 2016

I think they meant "Indigenous" language. A common mistake.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In the Mahabharata... Feb 27, 2016

In the Mahabharata, after Yudhishtra the senior Pandava brother lost the chess game and had to spent twelve years in exile and one year incognito, the five Pandava brothers travelled to various parts of the globe hiding from their cousins, the Kauravas, to whom they had lost the game, with the aim of evading recognition. Legend has it that they spent some time in Latin American countries, and the Mayan, Inca, Azetec and other civilizations were founded by them while they were there.

... See more
In the Mahabharata, after Yudhishtra the senior Pandava brother lost the chess game and had to spent twelve years in exile and one year incognito, the five Pandava brothers travelled to various parts of the globe hiding from their cousins, the Kauravas, to whom they had lost the game, with the aim of evading recognition. Legend has it that they spent some time in Latin American countries, and the Mayan, Inca, Azetec and other civilizations were founded by them while they were there.

Probably they also taught the local natives the languages they spoke, mainly Sanskrit, and the modern Latin American languages are derived from this language.

So in terms of this legend, it would be correct to call the Latin American languages as "Indian" languages, as they are probably offsprings of Sanskrit.

How Indian languages have travelled around the world is indeed remarkable. For example, few people know that Persian, German and many other Slav languages are of Indian origin, as the Aryans from the Indus river travelled from the Punjab and settled those areas and took their languages with them.

Tell-tale indications of this can be found even today, not only in the stray words that German and Sanskrit share, but also in symbols like the swastika, which was commandeered by Hitler for his Nazi purpose. In India, the origin of the Swastika symbol, it is still to be found in its original, exalted meaning as a sacred religious symbol of the Hindus.

The language of the Rig-veda and the Avesta are strikingly similar, although the current Persian has been largely arabized after Islam spread into Persia.

The Romas of Europe are another case. They were a Rajput clan from India who migrated to Europe almost 2,000 years ago. It is striking that the numerals from one to ten in the Roma language are exactly the same as the numerals in Hindi - ek, do, teen, char, paanch, etc.

The Romas today are much persecuted in Europe like the Jews of yore, but they have managed to retain some vestiges of their Indian culture and traditions.

[Edited at 2016-02-28 04:29 GMT]
Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Proto-Indo-American"? Feb 28, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Probably they also taught the local natives the languages they spoke, mainly Sanskrit, and the modern Latin American languages are derived from this language.

So in terms of this legend, it would be correct to call the Latin American languages as "Indian" languages, as they are probably offsprings of Sanskrit....

Cool story! Personally, I find the notion of pre-columbian contact with the Americas quite interesting. If I'm not mistaken, some hypothetical cases have become accepted as historical fact (e.g. the Vikings), so you never know...perhaps there is a grain of truth to the legend. But still...I don't think the editor of this article had any of this in mind when allowing the headline to be published...

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think most news stories have some errors when they talk about languages and translations Feb 28, 2016

The newspapers seem to have a great tolerance about errors.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don't understand why the localization of an internet browser Feb 28, 2016

was considered as news.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:26
German to English
amusing ... Feb 29, 2016

I assume that Fox News has "native American" on its blacklist of "PC" (politically correct, not personal computer) terms banned from use in its reporting. The editor apparently didn't get around to the actual article or the author was smart enough to evade automated detection by using the strange, but comprehensible, term "native Latin American" in the main text.

On the other hand, the confusing title did generate a click from me, so maybe the editor was just doing his job.
<
... See more
I assume that Fox News has "native American" on its blacklist of "PC" (politically correct, not personal computer) terms banned from use in its reporting. The editor apparently didn't get around to the actual article or the author was smart enough to evade automated detection by using the strange, but comprehensible, term "native Latin American" in the main text.

On the other hand, the confusing title did generate a click from me, so maybe the editor was just doing his job.

Beware of styleguides.

P.S. And just to be fair: "The Guardian" has plenty of oddities from the opposite political camp (I'm not picking on Fox).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

University team translates Firefox into Indian language in Paraguay

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »