Spanish-Language Translation of Voting Guide Contains Some Very Suspicious Errors
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2016

I love this part "the rest of the Spanish text was sent to professional translators to make sure no more errors were made."

(although the translation "errors" seem to be just a failure to update the existing translating with new/changing
... See more
I love this part "the rest of the Spanish text was sent to professional translators to make sure no more errors were made."

(although the translation "errors" seem to be just a failure to update the existing translating with new/changing information).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-spanish-language-voting-guide-162000357.html?nhp=1

[Edited at 2016-04-13 12:42 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:58
English to French
+ ...
Hah! Apr 13, 2016

I once did not win (I think it was a federal RFP) because the price quoted by the agency I was managing at the time was too high compared to the winning bid.

Said winning bid offered translation into Spanish around $0.02, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it was a ridiculous amount.

I remember remarking (to the RFP issuer) that one could not seriously expect a decent translation with such low rates.

The answer was along the lines (I'm quoting almost verbati
... See more
I once did not win (I think it was a federal RFP) because the price quoted by the agency I was managing at the time was too high compared to the winning bid.

Said winning bid offered translation into Spanish around $0.02, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it was a ridiculous amount.

I remember remarking (to the RFP issuer) that one could not seriously expect a decent translation with such low rates.

The answer was along the lines (I'm quoting almost verbatim, even after all these years): "This translation will not be used. It is only to meet a legal requirement, and it will simply be put on a shelf."

Even though LegalTransform assumption is most likely correct.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish-Language Translation of Voting Guide Contains Some Very Suspicious Errors

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »