Tania Vaillant Amaro Marins Cortez
France
Local time: 13:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 28, 2023

Hello, everyone!

This is my first time posting here, and I'm seeking some advice and guidance.
I've been working on my first book translation (Babelclub) which delves into a topic I'm quite knowledgeable about and have extensively studied over the years. However, while translating the initial ten pages, I've come across numerous inaccuracies and potentially harmful information that could negatively impact someone's diet or even pose serious health risks.

I find m
... See more
Hello, everyone!

This is my first time posting here, and I'm seeking some advice and guidance.
I've been working on my first book translation (Babelclub) which delves into a topic I'm quite knowledgeable about and have extensively studied over the years. However, while translating the initial ten pages, I've come across numerous inaccuracies and potentially harmful information that could negatively impact someone's diet or even pose serious health risks.

I find myself in a moral predicament. On one hand, I believe it's not my role to judge the book's content, but on the other hand, I don't feel comfortable associating my name with something I know to be incorrect.

So, my question is, what steps should I take in this situation? How can I ensure the translation's accuracy while being mindful of ethical responsibility? I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions on how to proceed.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Collapse

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Gracefully Step Away Jul 28, 2023

Gracefully Step Away.

I teach my students to either accept a job or refuse it. If you accept it, your feelings on the subject are irrelevant. If the subject or agenda is against your principles, then refuse it. In your case, if you are discovering a problem as you get into the thick of it, then I would remove yourself. Explain it to the client/author, and they may either persuade you or listen to your input and make changes.

Malika El khadhri
Magnus Rubensson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Matthieu Ledoré
expressisverbis
Arabic & More
Ying-Ju Fang

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Run. Away. Now. Jul 29, 2023

Hi, Tania.

The royalty-based Babelcube (not Babelclub!) 'system' is not one I would call a go-to 'publisher' for first-time book translators. Or any translators, for that matter.

This said, here's what the Babelcube website states,
( https://www.babelcube.com/how-translators-create-job ),
'If the author provided a sample text from the book, a sam
... See more
Hi, Tania.

The royalty-based Babelcube (not Babelclub!) 'system' is not one I would call a go-to 'publisher' for first-time book translators. Or any translators, for that matter.

This said, here's what the Babelcube website states,
( https://www.babelcube.com/how-translators-create-job ),
'If the author provided a sample text from the book, a sample translation will help the author gauge your translation skills.
Wait to see if your offer is selected. Authors will browse the offers they receive and the profiles of the translators. Once they find an offer that they like, they'll confirm it and you will receive a message letting you know that you were chosen.'

The above makes me think that you might still be in the sample translation stage. Is that correct, or you've reached and signed an agreement, received the book in digital and/or paper format and discovered the 'inaccuracies' and 'harmful information' you mentioned only afterwards?

Personally, I would be very wary of 'doing business' with Babelcube and the like, and would strongly advise you to do a keyword search in the Forum section here and read the many comments about it.
Apart from having one's name printed on a book cover, Babelcube translators get very little
money - or no money at all - for their efforts.

Run. Away. Now.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philippe Etienne
Daryo

France
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tks Jul 29, 2023

Thank you both for your input.

@Barbara. I am currently at the initial stage of reviewing the first 10 pages, but I have already received the entire material. Nevertheless, I will do the research you advised me. Although I am not seeking monetary gain from this project, it is primarily intended to improve my skills and, particularly with this book, to give more people the opportunity to read about a subject that I love (of course, this motive is no longer a part of the project).

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 06:06
English to Russian
+ ...
That depends Jul 29, 2023

Tania, usually I'm a fierce opponent of any "ethical dilemmas", real or imaginary, that may be tormenting the translators now and then, and do my best to make sure that they avoid any interference; I already have said a lot about it before. Yours is the first I sympathize with to an extent. Still, I would not recommend to start any battles anyway.

For one, from the hints you gave, mentioning diet, I understand that the book has something to do with nutrition and wellness, right? ... See more
Tania, usually I'm a fierce opponent of any "ethical dilemmas", real or imaginary, that may be tormenting the translators now and then, and do my best to make sure that they avoid any interference; I already have said a lot about it before. Yours is the first I sympathize with to an extent. Still, I would not recommend to start any battles anyway.

For one, from the hints you gave, mentioning diet, I understand that the book has something to do with nutrition and wellness, right?

If you don't have a special background/education on a subject, and the author does, however wrong he might be in your eyes, it will be very hard for you to stand your ground and claim any professional knowledge or rights to any critique based solely on the extensive reading and self-study. Please, don't get me wrong, I'm talking formalities here, I don't doubt you. It's an uphill battle, and could turn into a very nasty one. Rudely, the first question you might hear is "And just who exactly do you think you are to teach me??". Authors, especially the publish-wannabies, are even more defensive and touchy than the translators

Keep translating as is or decline, period.
Collapse

Daryo

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Serbian to English
+ ...
If that is the case ... Aug 8, 2023

Tania Vaillant Amaro Marins Cortez wrote:

Thank you both for your input.

@Barbara. I am currently at the initial stage of reviewing the first 10 pages, but I have already received the entire material. Nevertheless, I will do the research you advised me. Although I am not seeking monetary gain from this project, it is primarily intended to improve my skills and, particularly with this book, to give more people the opportunity to read about a subject that I love (of course, this motive is no longer a part of the project).

"... I am not seeking monetary gain from this project ..." and you don't want to participate in what you think is spreading wrong dietary advice.

A no-brainer - don't waste any more of your time, like on arguing with the author - as Barbara said Run. Away. Now. And forget about Babelcube.

Instead of waiting to maybe be selected, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to find a book you would be proud to put your name on it as the translator (into Portuguese?), and then contact the author directly. If the monetary gain is secondary for you, you could have a win-win situation - for the author and for yourself.

I'm also for total neutrality in translating / interpreting, but when it comes to translating a book because YOU want to make it more widely known, "neutrality" goes out through the window, your opinion counts, a lot. If the content turns out not to be what you expected, you have all the rights to walk away.

[Edited at 2023-08-09 00:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Dilemma: Ensuring Accuracy and Ethical Responsibility

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »