Thread poster: IrinaN
IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 1

I've just talked to my colleague currently in Europe, and I'm still trying to catch my breath.

She received an offer from the agency operating in the 1st world country. It goes as follows:

1. Translator receives a job by 10 am and must submit it by 3 pm.

2. The job is to find a term suggested by Google Translate, compare it to four (4) options suggested by AI and pick the "relevant" choice.

3. There can be up to 100 questions in one sitting. 30
... See more
I've just talked to my colleague currently in Europe, and I'm still trying to catch my breath.

She received an offer from the agency operating in the 1st world country. It goes as follows:

1. Translator receives a job by 10 am and must submit it by 3 pm.

2. The job is to find a term suggested by Google Translate, compare it to four (4) options suggested by AI and pick the "relevant" choice.

3. There can be up to 100 questions in one sitting. 300 minutes divided by 100 = 3 minutes per choice. To be generous, let's make it 6 for 50 questions or even 12 for 25 questions.

4. Questions range from cookie baking to physics to pharmacology, you name it.

5. Apparently, those "smart choices" are to be used to "improve" AI translation.

Enjoy
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
writeaway
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Barbara Carrara
Matthias Brombach
Christel Zipfel
Philip Lees

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:09
Greek to English
No worries Apr 2

And of course, the pay is so good that the agency will be able to pick only the very best and most experienced translators in each language pair, to ensure that the answers they select will be the most correct ones every time.

This really makes me worry about the growing competition for high-level translators from these new "genius" AIs.

Not.

Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
Tine Reichert
expressisverbis
neilmac
ibz

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:09
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Omnipotent Apr 2

Isn’t AI promoted as an omnipotent tool that can do anything at all, including these choice judgments?

P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On intelligence, artificial and not

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »