A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4] >
can you assure your customer fullness, correctness and completeness in the target language
Téma indítója: Brandis (X)
Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
Tag (2004 óta)
olasz - angol
+ ...
Why has this thread been opened on "Getting Established"? Oct 22, 2006

I'm afraid I find this thread out of place here and I am at a loss about where it should go.
It's fun being a moderator, but I do have a "day job" and it's all I can do to keep with the threads I feel to be appropriate here, so I am a bit stuck for words.
Maybe Brandis or other kind colleagues could suggest a better place for the thread to proceed and I will move it.
Thanks
Angela

[Edited at 2006-10-22 18:33]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
angol - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
I am sorry Angela Oct 22, 2006

Angela Arnone wrote:

I'm afraid I find this thread out of place here and I am at a loss about where is should go.
It's fun being a moderator, but I do have a "day job" and it's all I can do to keep with the threads I feel to be appropriate here, so I am a bit stuck for words.
Maybe Brandis or other kind colleagues could suggest a better place for the thread to proceed and I will move it.
Thanks
Angela
but I didn´t know where to go with this ache either, so I thought, since the nature is of establishment and problem solving type, I would post here. Best Brandis

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Angela... Oct 22, 2006

...maybe "Business Issues"?

I'm not entirely sure what this is all about (like some of the other posters), but get the impression that the problem involves how to handle a situation with a client.

Angela Arnone
Tag (2004 óta)
olasz - angol
+ ...
If Brandis is agreeable, I would prefer this to go to Business Issues Oct 22, 2006

... and many thanks Cindy, for your suggestion.
Angela

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what this is all about (like some of the other posters), but get the impression that the problem involves how to handle a situation with a client.

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
német - francia
+ ...
Problem with YOUR clients Oct 22, 2006

Dear Brandis,

It is the second time you write about having problem with your clients because of very short budgets, huge translation orders and problematic files.

The first thing you should ask yourself before accepting such jobs is "can I do that?", "Is the money worth the trouble?"
you seem to get blinded with huges promising orders that you have problems carrying through in the end.

Last week we had a call from a client who wanted 30 pages translat
... See more
Dear Brandis,

It is the second time you write about having problem with your clients because of very short budgets, huge translation orders and problematic files.

The first thing you should ask yourself before accepting such jobs is "can I do that?", "Is the money worth the trouble?"
you seem to get blinded with huges promising orders that you have problems carrying through in the end.

Last week we had a call from a client who wanted 30 pages translated from Hungarian into German OVERNIGHT.
He kept saying he was sorry he got the document so late and had been rejected by another agency, he was then in deep trouble.
We just said sorry, we can't do it without compromising the quality and we are then not going to take the job. Sorry about the trouble but there are things one has to refuse or we would be soon in trouble ourselves.

The minimum to assure your customer fullness, correctness and completeness is not to accept jobs for which you are not at ease with. Sometimes clients want 3 days for their translation. Then you say, I can't offer less that 10 days. And believe me, they come back with a 10 days timeframe (admitting they believe in you). Why do you always complain about a too little budget being a reason of not completing the job as you wished it to? Increase your budget or refuse the job because otherwise you are loosing in plausability.

My 2 cents and I have not been in the business for as long as you but it would be a basic business principle. YOU are the one deciding which jobs you take or not and the related problems.
No client can force you to do what you don't want (especially if your business is healthy - what I hope for you).
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
angol - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Well Angela, Oct 22, 2006

Angela Arnone wrote:

... and many thanks Cindy, for your suggestion.
Angela

Cindy Chadd wrote:

the goal was solely to experience reactions from co-translators and localizers and certainly not from a few close eyed abusers. Then that is where this posting should be. Best Brandis

Angela Arnone
Tag (2004 óta)
olasz - angol
+ ...
The problem is Oct 22, 2006

that this forum should be for folks new to the business, who are aiming at Getting Established.
I seem to recall, and I'm comforted by the post above, that you aren't new to the business, Brandis.
Hence my confusion.
Further confused by the reference to "close eyed abusers", but perhaps we can take that no further, IMHO.
Angela

Brandis wrote:
the goal was solely to experience reactions from co-translators and localizers and certainly not from a few close eyed abusers. Then that is where this posting should be. Best Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
angol - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
you are very right Yolande Oct 22, 2006

HI!, this particular customer was special, he came challenging from the beginning, then later came the budget and the doubting questions as already posted in the header of the thread. I in my turn have always contributed everything I knew and or found something new because I truly felt the community way of exchanging information about certain aspects of ... CAT tools, localization techniques or others. Today it is different, despite all the previous exchange and knowledge I have gained, this ki... See more
HI!, this particular customer was special, he came challenging from the beginning, then later came the budget and the doubting questions as already posted in the header of the thread. I in my turn have always contributed everything I knew and or found something new because I truly felt the community way of exchanging information about certain aspects of ... CAT tools, localization techniques or others. Today it is different, despite all the previous exchange and knowledge I have gained, this kind of a business cycle is not new to any of us, we all constantly experience this in a way or the other. How does one go about it is still a question whether this thread is moved to some other location or renamed or the similar. We ae all beginners at one stage or the other, in my case I had to learn almost everything by teaching myself. I feel we are a way off from the original posting, that was meant with a certain purpose, now I do not know what to guess. Best BrandisCollapse

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Németország
svéd
+ ...
Maybe there is no suitable forum? Oct 22, 2006

Brandis wrote:

but I didn´t know where to go with this ache either, so I thought, since the nature is of establishment and problem solving type, I would post here. Best Brandis

Being just as puzzled as most of the other Prozians here, it can well be that there is no suitable forum for your problem? Maybe you need to search for professional help somewhere else?

Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2006-10-23 06:09]

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2006 óta)
kínai - német
+ ...
Why not try it in German Oct 22, 2006

Hi Brandis,
I'm sorry, but I also don't get your problem. I understood it like this: A client proposed a project and asked you to do some preparation by searching the web or something like thas and you already offered him a lot of information and now you are not sure wether this is really becoming a job for you or not. But as you stated both English and German as your mother tongue, why not just try it in a German forum, maybe everybody would get your question if only posted in understanda
... See more
Hi Brandis,
I'm sorry, but I also don't get your problem. I understood it like this: A client proposed a project and asked you to do some preparation by searching the web or something like thas and you already offered him a lot of information and now you are not sure wether this is really becoming a job for you or not. But as you stated both English and German as your mother tongue, why not just try it in a German forum, maybe everybody would get your question if only posted in understandable German...
Regards,
Inga

[Bearbeitet am 2006-10-22 21:18]
Collapse

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 19:21
francia - angol
+ ...
Brandis, I like to read your posts Oct 22, 2006

They are entertaining. Do you use machine translation to post your messages? this is a genuine question really.
M

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
angol - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
As I said I did not find the right forum to post this... Oct 22, 2006

Hi! even so, the question has been clearly stated. A customer comes with these 3 criteria to be fulfilled, so that a project is real, let us forget the money part. The criteria may be somewhat subjective, but translation is not fully a technical field of study that can be split fully into parts either, how to find the right sales argument to hold that customer. I hope I am more clear now. I do not have to use any machine translation stuff to post my views of opinions and it is not the first time... See more
Hi! even so, the question has been clearly stated. A customer comes with these 3 criteria to be fulfilled, so that a project is real, let us forget the money part. The criteria may be somewhat subjective, but translation is not fully a technical field of study that can be split fully into parts either, how to find the right sales argument to hold that customer. I hope I am more clear now. I do not have to use any machine translation stuff to post my views of opinions and it is not the first time I posting such issues. If you feel (moderators) that this posting doesn´t fit the given frame work of "getting established", then you should move it to some other location. But getting confused or not being able to understand what is posted is not the criteria to participate, it doesn´t mean that I do not find the consensus through your postings. If you had a text like this as translation job, what would you do?? Best BrandisCollapse

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2006 óta)
kínai - német
+ ...
I would ask for the original Oct 22, 2006

Brandis wrote:

If you had a text like this as translation job, what would you do?? Best Brandis

To be honest, I would say that I assume the text to be a translation and I'd ask if it would be possible to get the original source text. Really no offense meant, but what would you do?

[Bearbeitet am 2006-10-22 21:35]

[Bearbeitet am 2006-10-22 21:36]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
angol - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Honestly this posting was an extract of my discussion Oct 22, 2006

Pirily wrote:

Brandis wrote:

If you had a text like this as translation job, what would you do?? Best Brandis

To be honest, I would say that I assume the text to be a translation and I'd ask if it would be possible to get the original source text. Really no offense meant, but what would you do?

[Bearbeitet am 2006-10-22 21:35]

[Bearbeitet am 2006-10-22 21:36]
with the customer over a week, so there is no written text, whereas the project is/was... an .asp website with a database and cross domain links and that whole stuff leads to an enormous vlolume, the customer comes with these kind of questions (I would say very philosophical, he is a mathematician and an engg. though) From a translators perspective I could not give a satisfactory answer, why else do you think I turn to forums, else I would be busy working on that volume. The customer is an RFID expert (check for def. in google - rather large science) I told him finally after a week´s discussion he should do that translation himself. Was I any wrong, secondly what would my colleagues say (positive sales arguments only) I was seeking these reactions. In a process of business or existence cycle, we all see and experience various dimensions, for a translator it is different, for an outsourcer it is different. I shall leave it here. May be I should have never given any answer and let the customer come back, till he gives up I do not know. I had always entertained my customers as and when they came and quoted some price that I saw fit, sometimes also rejected that was it. This is a new type of customer, I hated to say no. What else could one say under the given circumstances was my question. The quest was to find a possible workable reaction. Best Brandis

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2003 óta)
angol - német
+ ...
Look forward to the next project Oct 22, 2006

Hi Brandis,

It is never easy to give up a project that looks like big bucks. But if a client wants it done for peanuts, cannot understand the work involved and is not willing to help out in terms of providing workable source texts, terminolgy help, etc., it makes it a lot easier to let the project go. I guess you did the right thing.

Good luck for your next big project.

Best regards,
Stefanie

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can you assure your customer fullness, correctness and completeness in the target language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »