Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
can you assure your customer fullness, correctness and completeness in the target language
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 20:25
English to German
+ ...
Oct 22, 2006

Hi! was the question I had last week, the discussion went on for 4 days over a volume of about 800000 words, little money though for an end-customer, the expenditure will be written-off in form of advertising costs. I was getting tired and finally suggested a do-it-yourself model. What is your opinion. How would you go about it. Best Brandis

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What are you talking about? Oct 22, 2006

I love do-it-yourself. However, it depends on what you wish to do yourself...

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 02:25
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
What is the issue here? Oct 22, 2006

Brandis wrote:

Hi! was the question I had last week, the discussion went on for 4 days over a volume of about 800000 words, little money though for an end-customer, the expenditure will be written-off in form of advertising costs. I was getting tired and finally suggested a do-it-yourself model. What is your opinion. How would you go about it. Best Brandis

Sorry, but what is the issue here? You might have to elaborate.

Denyce

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
may be I wasn´t clear in my posting Oct 22, 2006

Claudia Krysztofiak wrote:

I love do-it-yourself. However, it depends on what you wish to do yourself...
Hi there, I told the customer, while getting fed up with lot of work and less earning in the project a do-it-yourself model. It was a website. Best Brandis

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Don't work if you don't want to Oct 22, 2006

Brandis wrote:
Hi there, I told the customer, while getting fed up with lot of work and less earning in the project a do-it-yourself model. It was a website. Best Brandis

Hi Brandis,

If you don't want a job, don't accept it. You should have calculated your earnings before agreeing to do the work, though. It depends on your agreement with your customer now, whether you can get out of the project or not.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

Best wishes,
Stefanie

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Please clarify Oct 22, 2006

My first thought after reading the headline of your post : Brandis wants to know how one can guarantee that he/she has the required competencies in his/her target language. Interesting question...

Then, if I understand correctly, you tell us about a job which turned out to be counter-productive, and that your told your client to do the job himself. Am I right ?

If this is the case :
1 - I don't understand the relationship between headline and content of your messa
... See more
My first thought after reading the headline of your post : Brandis wants to know how one can guarantee that he/she has the required competencies in his/her target language. Interesting question...

Then, if I understand correctly, you tell us about a job which turned out to be counter-productive, and that your told your client to do the job himself. Am I right ?

If this is the case :
1 - I don't understand the relationship between headline and content of your message.
2 - Deciding to stop a project when you already have begun is really unprofesional. As Stefanie pointed, you should have decided this beforehand.

But I'm sorry to say that I am really interpreting your message due to the lack of coherence and clarity.... or is my English really that poor ?

Sylvain, puzzled.
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
???? Oct 22, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:

If this is the case :
1 - I don't understand the relationship between headline and content of your message.
2 - Deciding to stop a project when you already have begun is really unprofesional. As Stefanie pointed, you should have decided this beforehand.

But I'm sorry to say that I am really interpreting your message due to the lack of coherence and clarity.... or is my English really that poor ?

Sylvain, puzzled.

I couldn't agree with you more. And in my opinion, there's no connection with the chosen forum (Getting Established), either.

Cetacea, equally puzzled.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you have understood it right Oct 22, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:

If this is the case :

Sylvain, puzzled.
The header spoke about a question with which we all may be confronted at one time or the other. Which answers would suffice was my question, if you had a situation like this, what would you do. Now this customer carries a lot of weight, cross-domain links and a range of .pdf files ( between you and me it is about RFID) I hated that one week long discussion, he had blocked my office and other customers (practically stole my time) so I had to say, why not he himself try out the step of realizing his vision. The site was about .asp cross domains, it is as though there is a union of customers behind one single customer, that situation is scary. Then he starts putting these three issues in the target translation, regardless of external proofing, revision including his own chose professionals, then I got the idea, the customer was probably just talking, while nourishing himself of the information and may not have a project, let us forget the money part. So I had to tell him just do-it-yourself save the discussion and the money as well, there are many tools out there, that he may have to live with the outcome, may be then he would know the importance of getting his job through a professional. He was surprised in a way but kept coming back. I had to ask back, since the customer is a mathematician how many Zeros make a one?? He kept quiet and left. I was now wondering whether I did something wrong, or was the customer´s question genuine, or how many translators are really confronted with such an issue and what do they do. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-10-22 15:34]

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Sorry, Brandis... Oct 22, 2006

But I'm more puzzled than before.
You say "scary" in your posting.
That's what I think when I read your message. I'm scared by the ton of different information you can give in one sentence and by the lack of consistency in your description of your problem...
I'm scared by the way you seem to handle your jobs and by the way you seem to handle your clients.
I really don't understand.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:25
German to English
Yes Oct 22, 2006

"can you assure your customer fullness, correctness and completeness in the target language".

Yes, it's called "translation". Plenty of us do it, day in, day out. It's a real no-brainer.

Even if I'm not sure what "fullness" means here...

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
Flemish to English
+ ...
Why don't you stick to your IT-guns? Oct 22, 2006

"Can you assure your customer fullness, correctness and completeness in the target language?"

If you accept a job, a price and a deadline, you'll have to stick to your guns and you don't come back on your commitment and you strive to do just that, not once but all the time. Otherwise, you are no professional translator, but a self-anointed overnight translator. Learn English. Then try to guarantee quality and finish the projects you promised on time?
Shouldn't the poster-a pro
... See more
"Can you assure your customer fullness, correctness and completeness in the target language?"

If you accept a job, a price and a deadline, you'll have to stick to your guns and you don't come back on your commitment and you strive to do just that, not once but all the time. Otherwise, you are no professional translator, but a self-anointed overnight translator. Learn English. Then try to guarantee quality and finish the projects you promised on time?
Shouldn't the poster-a professional (?) translator into English- learn English first?
How can you guarantee quality if you obviously don't dominate the target language. A stylistics course might help.

Cheers, (and not "a kind of" translation of : Alles gute)

[Edited at 2006-10-22 16:35]
Collapse

Roxanna Delgado
Roxanna Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm sorry as well, Brandis Oct 22, 2006

... but I have to go with Sylvain, Robin and Williamson.
I think it's also "scary" that you claim to be an English native-speaker.
It's very hard to understand you.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it is scary, due to the question mentioned in the header Oct 22, 2006

Roxanna Delgado wrote:

... but I have to go with Sylvain, Robin and Williamson.
I think it's also "scary" that you claim to be an English native-speaker.
It's very hard to understand you.
Hi! it is scary due to the volume of the project, tight price, and the customer´s question hasn´t been fully answered even through this posting. May be I am a disgrace, but my professor said once " just be mindful, when you don´t understand, try understanding all that is mentioned in the fullest depth". For the customer however it seems like a simple project, but the realization involves much work, thinking, sweating, may be term search. All that is not laid-out in detail. Just the project and the budget and the unanswered questions. So I had to tell him, he should do it himself. I was being sofar honest, while trying to find answers from professionals. and all of you are better professionals than I am, surely and certainly. Even that is not the question, the question is how do you deal with a customer like this. I hope that is not difficult to understand. Good, strong sales arguments my freinds. Best Brandis

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Pretty Tristram-Shandyish Oct 22, 2006

the information...

But even at zero yield for the reader, I (we?) do appreciate your self-doubts. That's the best compass one can have.

Re dealing with the customer like this, you did your hundred percent I would assume. But then, I never had to deal with 600.000 words on a shoestring budget, that included ASP n web sites n multiple (split?) personalities &c ...

And now, (let's) move on.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2
... See more
the information...

But even at zero yield for the reader, I (we?) do appreciate your self-doubts. That's the best compass one can have.

Re dealing with the customer like this, you did your hundred percent I would assume. But then, I never had to deal with 600.000 words on a shoestring budget, that included ASP n web sites n multiple (split?) personalities &c ...

And now, (let's) move on.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-10-22 16:58]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can you assure your customer fullness, correctness and completeness in the target language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »