Do most translation cases relating to Chinese come from Chinese speaking areas?
Thread poster: Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:43
Chinese to English
Jul 8, 2014

Hello,

I haven’t been very proactive with regards to registering with LSPs and finding clients.
Most of my recent work—granted, not a lot—has come from the two Chinese agencies that I am currently registered with. I previously registered with one UK based LSP, however they didn’t send me any work and I haven’t bothered to chase them.

I have also been contacted by clients based in China through the Proz.com directory, but never by any western based LSPs.
... See more
Hello,

I haven’t been very proactive with regards to registering with LSPs and finding clients.
Most of my recent work—granted, not a lot—has come from the two Chinese agencies that I am currently registered with. I previously registered with one UK based LSP, however they didn’t send me any work and I haven’t bothered to chase them.

I have also been contacted by clients based in China through the Proz.com directory, but never by any western based LSPs.

This leads me to believe that most of the work involving translation from the Chinese language must originate from Chinese speaking areas (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc.) Of course my sample size of three is ridiculously small.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Do European and American agencies deal with Chinese on the same scale that they deal with European languages?

Any input based on your own personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

[Edited at 2014-07-08 15:37 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
ATA member directory Jul 9, 2014

Hi Mark,

Have you considered signing up with American Translators Association ( http://www.atanet.org/ )? Quite a few of my clients in the States have found me through their website, including those requesting for Chinese to English translation.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Jean

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:43
Chinese to English
Plenty of work in Europe/USA Jul 9, 2014

For years I had a policy of not accepting work from China at all, because of price issues (and quality). I took all my work from US and European agencies, and there was plenty to keep me afloat.
Things have changed for the better in the high end in China now, but I'd still recommend getting some western LSP clients.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:43
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Sadly... Jul 9, 2014

Most of my ATA potential leads turn out to be Nigerian scammers.

That however is most likely because I am not certified and my profile is not as comprehensive as some on the ATA directory.

That being said I do wonder how I can further improve my chances via the ATA...

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
ATA profile completeness Jul 9, 2014

Rita Pang wrote:

Most of my ATA potential leads turn out to be Nigerian scammers.

That however is most likely because I am not certified and my profile is not as comprehensive as some on the ATA directory.

That being said I do wonder how I can further improve my chances via the ATA...

Hi Rita,

I'm not a certified ATA translator either. ATA doesn't have the best tool for us to complete our profile. As a matter of fact, I had to "borrow" some html code from Proz to make my personal page look more organized. Not sure if this helped out with my chance or not, but I did get some inquiries from ATA, probably more so than from Proz.

Maybe when you get a chance, try to add a few more details to your ATA page and see if it'd help.

Jean

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:43
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Good to know Jul 21, 2014

Jean@LA wrote:

Hi Rita,

I'm not a certified ATA translator either. ATA doesn't have the best tool for us to complete our profile. As a matter of fact, I had to "borrow" some html code from Proz to make my personal page look more organized. Not sure if this helped out with my chance or not, but I did get some inquiries from ATA, probably more so than from Proz.

Maybe when you get a chance, try to add a few more details to your ATA page and see if it'd help.

Jean

What I wonder the most is what "draws" people to a specific profile the most. There's not as many certified translators in comparison to the rest. I often wonder what it is about my ATA profile which doesn't quite stand out. Someone here on this forum has checked it out once and said I gotta give it a bit more "meat" - which I did (I hope?) But still, my return from ATA is so ridiculously low, I am not sure if I want to keep paying $200+ a year to get like 2 solicitations throughout one year.

On the other hand I get quite a number of offers from Proz, so much so that I've been finding paying membership here worth every penny of my money.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do most translation cases relating to Chinese come from Chinese speaking areas?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »