China
Local time: 14:44
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 23, 2015

给一家葡萄牙客户做了翻译,然后要我填RFI-21表,说是必须填了这个表才能付款。

这个表的标题叫“RFI-21”,但顶行右边写的又是“21-RFI”。有点不太理解他们的思维,就算叫“RFI-21”表吧。

对方说要填以下几项:“I, 8, III, IV, VI and VIII”,还说“with the stamp from your financial services”。各位,尤其是国内的同行有碰到过的吗?

看其中III,写的是“CERTIFICATION BY THE COMPETENT TAX AUTHORITIES OF THE BENEFICIAL OWNER'S STATE OF RESIDENCE”。“your financial services”指的是这条吗?这一栏具体是找谁写的?

[Edited at 2015-03-24 05:25 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
"Financial Services" Mar 23, 2015

lbone wrote:

“your financial services”指的是这条吗?这一栏具体是找谁写的?

lbone,

IMO, "financial services" is likely just a misnomer for "tax authorities" in this instance.

But anyway, I would first ask myself, "Do I pay income taxes?". If so, then there's a tax authority I pay my income taxes to, and that tax authority is the organization that needs to do the certification. If not, then it's impossible to fill out item III; and if I were you, I'd just forget about the whole thing.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
FWIW Mar 23, 2015

For a U.S. resident to fill out this form, the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) is the tax authority that does the certification.

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Portugal_Telecom_SGPS,_S.A_._(PT)/Tax_Resident_Not_Eligible_Reduced_Rates_Portuguese_Withholding

You should know that receiving certification of a Form 21-RFI or Form 22-RFI from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service can be a lengthy process.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
In the UK, they go through their HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs) offices Mar 23, 2015

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/213682-double_taxation_between_portugal_uk_mod_21_rfi.html#1855102

Caroline Reiss wrote:

You need to phone HMRC and check. Aug 6, 2012

Hi Manoj,

I tried to take the forms to the local HMRC office and I was told that, unfortunately, they no longer sign/stamp them there. However, I was given the regional tax office address in Sheffield, which is where I sent them.

I presume that each region has their own office for dealing with these matters, but if you phone HMRC, they'll be able to tell you the correct address.

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 23, 2015

[quote]wherestip wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/213682-double_taxation_between_portugal_uk_mod_21_rfi.html#1855102

[quote]

Hi steve, thank you!

Shirley Lao
Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Double tax treaties for the avoidance of double taxation on income tax, following the OECD Model Mar 23, 2015

Over the years, Portugal has signed fifty-two double tax treaties for the avoidance of double taxation on income tax, following the OECD Model Convention, with some reservations which are aimed essentially at ensuring a broader concept of permanent establishment and seek to raise the level of taxation in the source country with regard to dividends, interest and royalties. As a rule, the method used in the concluded treaties is that of the ordinary tax credit, although it should be noted that in ... See more
Over the years, Portugal has signed fifty-two double tax treaties for the avoidance of double taxation on income tax, following the OECD Model Convention, with some reservations which are aimed essentially at ensuring a broader concept of permanent establishment and seek to raise the level of taxation in the source country with regard to dividends, interest and royalties. As a rule, the method used in the concluded treaties is that of the ordinary tax credit, although it should be noted that in some of the treaties, provision has been made for a matching credit or tax-sparing credit.

The treaties concluded by Portugal in accordance with this OECD model come into play only when those paying the income have the necessary forms for this purpose (21-RFI to 24-RFI), duly completed and authenticated by the respective tax authorities.

http://www.mondaq.com/x/83202/tax%20treaties/International%20Double%20Taxation%20In%20Portugal

China is one of the countries which have signed the double tax treaties for the avoidance of double taxation on income tax, following the OECD Model Convention, with Portugal. You may follow the link for more details.
Collapse

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 24, 2015

Shirley Lao wrote:

Over the years, Portugal has signed fifty-two double tax treaties for the avoidance of double taxation on income tax, following the OECD Model Convention, with some reservations which are aimed essentially at ensuring a broader concept of permanent establishment and seek to raise the level of taxation in the source country with regard to dividends, interest and royalties. As a rule, the method used in the concluded treaties is that of the ordinary tax credit, although it should be noted that in some of the treaties, provision has been made for a matching credit or tax-sparing credit.

The treaties concluded by Portugal in accordance with this OECD model come into play only when those paying the income have the necessary forms for this purpose (21-RFI to 24-RFI), duly completed and authenticated by the respective tax authorities.

http://www.mondaq.com/x/83202/tax%20treaties/International%20Double%20Taxation%20In%20Portugal

China is one of the countries which have signed the double tax treaties for the avoidance of double taxation on income tax, following the OECD Model Convention, with Portugal. You may follow the link for more details.

Thank you Shirley!

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:44
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Same for me Mar 24, 2015

lbone wrote:

给一家葡萄牙客户做了翻译,然后要我填RFI-21表,说是必须填了这个表才能付款。

这个表的标题叫“RFI-21”,但顶行右边写的又是“21-RFI”。有点不太理解他们的思维,就算叫“RFI-21”表吧。

对方说要填以下几项:“I, 8, III, IV, VI and VIII”,还说“with the stamp from your financial services”。各位,尤其是国内的同行有碰到过的吗?

看其中III,写的是“CERTIFICATION BY THE COMPETENT TAX AUTHORITIES OF THE BENEFICIAL OWNER'S STATE OF RESIDENCE”。“your financial services”指的是这条吗?这一栏具体是找谁写的?

[Edited at 2015-03-24 05:25 GMT]

The RFI-21 form is NOT needed for issuance of payment. What it does, however, (at least in my case/knowledge) is that by filling that form, the Portuguese agency I worked for told me that I would not have to have 25% deducted off of my income with this agency.

In my case, I only worked for this agency a few times and the money/payment cycle and all the related troubles and delays do not justify my having to go above and beyond to get this form done, so I told them I don't mind having 25% withheld...

If they tell you they won't pay you unless you fill out that form, let me tell you that it is pure B.S. and they have no right of withholding payment from you.

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 25, 2015

Rita Pang wrote:
The RFI-21 form is NOT needed for issuance of payment. What it does, however, (at least in my case/knowledge) is that by filling that form, the Portuguese agency I worked for told me that I would not have to have 25% deducted off of my income with this agency.

In my case, I only worked for this agency a few times and the money/payment cycle and all the related troubles and delays do not justify my having to go above and beyond to get this form done, so I told them I don't mind having 25% withheld...

If they tell you they won't pay you unless you fill out that form, let me tell you that it is pure B.S. and they have no right of withholding payment from you.

HI Rita,

Thank you. This is an option.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

葡萄牙公司的RFI-21表

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »