Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you think the social prestige of translators is high?
Tópico cartaz: ProZ.com Staff
Mikael Adolfsson
Mikael Adolfsson  Identity Verified
Suécia
Local time: 15:52
inglês para sueco
+ ...
Neither Mar 10, 2010

In Sweden I think it´s neither high or low, but probably more on the high side.
When people ask what I do for a living, they become very curious. It´s a profession that is a bit unusual here; many people I meet have never known a translator. So I often end up telling about what I translate, which languages I translate, how I work and so on. Quite fun actually, since I like what I´m doing!

[Edited at 2010-03-10 07:37 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japão
Local time: 22:52
Membro (2005)
inglês para japonês
+ ...
Voted "other" Mar 10, 2010

Personally, I would have voted "yes", but due to the recent trend of low paying jobs being posted and discussed at Proz countlessly, I started having doubts about the translators's social prestige worldwide has generally become lower.

Karin Berling
Karin Berling  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 09:52
Membro (2010)
norueguês (bokmal) para inglês
+ ...
Challenging work with no glory Mar 16, 2010

Obviously, people who become doctors, lawyers, engineers for the prestige (and money) could not handle this job well. I am also a bioengineer, which tends to impress people because they usually have no idea what that means except it sounds like it would be difficult. However, I must say that among my colleagues in both fields, I have found the most impressive bunch among my fellow translators.

I have more or less switched careers to become a fulltime translator (and interpreter)
... See more
Obviously, people who become doctors, lawyers, engineers for the prestige (and money) could not handle this job well. I am also a bioengineer, which tends to impress people because they usually have no idea what that means except it sounds like it would be difficult. However, I must say that among my colleagues in both fields, I have found the most impressive bunch among my fellow translators.

I have more or less switched careers to become a fulltime translator (and interpreter), and I find the work challenging and unexpectedly fulfilling. Furthermore, I really enjoy the flexibility it gives me, although I am still figuring out how to be my own efficient accounting department...

These days, when I mention I am a translator, I also get that blank stare. But that is ok - I am not dependent on the wow-factor of my work

[Edited at 2010-03-16 18:10 GMT]
Collapse

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think the social prestige of translators is high?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »