Scrubbing a trade deal: Translators get behind the ears of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (podcast)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Scrubbing a trade deal: Translators get behind the ears of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (podcast)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:11
German to English
+ ...
The contents of the TPP have been kept secret Oct 15, 2015

The US Congress passed approval to fast-track this trade agreement without it being made available to the public for review. It has been cloaked in secrecy from the beginning, with only a few people in the administration and Congress knowing what is contained in this deal. As political comments are not permitted at Proz, I'll leave any conclusions to be drawn with the individuals who may be interested enough to read this post.

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:11
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you for posting this ... Oct 20, 2015

I'm wondering if much the same thing applied / applies / will apply to the TTIP ... as regards the "scrubbing", I mean, rather than the content / implications thereof ...

[Edited at 2015-10-20 05:30 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
YEs- thanks Oct 20, 2015

Caryl Swift wrote:

I'm wondering if much the same thing applied / applies / will apply to the TTIP ... as regards the "scrubbing", I mean, rather than the content / implications thereof ...

[Edited at 2015-10-20 05:30 GMT]

Anyone who knows anything about TPP and TTIP is against them.

Markus Nystrom
Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
Verb progression Oct 20, 2015

Wonder if the translators engaged in the scrubbing will in turn be 'rubbed out' to maintain the immaculate facade of secrecy while the dark deal gets done? They're only translators after all, motes of dust to be whisked away in service of the glorious objective of supersovereign 'trade'.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Refuse Oct 20, 2015

Markus Nystrom wrote:

Wonder if the translators engaged in the scrubbing will in turn be 'rubbed out' to maintain the immaculate facade of secrecy while the dark deal gets done? They're only translators after all, motes of dust to be whisked away in service of the glorious objective of supersovereign 'trade'.

If I am asked to translate anything that would facilitate TTIP I will refuse the job.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Accept Oct 27, 2015

Hypothetically, various heroic translators in these countries who wanted to do the people of the world a huge favor would apply for and accept the TTIP job. Then they would translate all the tricky bits not wrong, exactly, but so as to provide huge loopholes that would favor the rights of small business people, cooperatives, farmers, artists and the like. Naturally they would have to be very good translators and have mastery of the phraseology so that it was never wrong enough to get sued for, j... See more
Hypothetically, various heroic translators in these countries who wanted to do the people of the world a huge favor would apply for and accept the TTIP job. Then they would translate all the tricky bits not wrong, exactly, but so as to provide huge loopholes that would favor the rights of small business people, cooperatives, farmers, artists and the like. Naturally they would have to be very good translators and have mastery of the phraseology so that it was never wrong enough to get sued for, just ambiguous.

[Edited at 2015-10-27 12:45 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ambiguity Oct 27, 2015

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Hypothetically, various heroic translators in these countries who wanted to do the people of the world a huge favor would apply for and accept the TTIP job. Then they would translate all the tricky bits not wrong, exactly, but so as to provide huge loopholes that would favor the rights of small business people, cooperatives, farmers, artists and the like. Naturally they would have to be very good translators and have mastery of the phraseology so that it was never wrong enough to get sued for, just ambiguous.

[Edited at 2015-10-27 12:45 GMT]

I think you'll find, Jessica, that the legal eagles who write the text of all legislation, including in the case of the nefarious TTIP, are expert at making these texts as ambiguous as possible, at all times. Having found myself just recently asked to translate the text of the Italian law on gambling machines, I discovered that my greatest challenge was to reproduce, in English, the ambiguity that had been artfully incorporated into the Italian. And before anyone says to themselves (I know how little has been done to combat prejudice and stereotyping) that this is how Italians behave, let me reassure them them the Italians are no different from anyone else.

When it comes to translating the official texts of legislation, the translator's task is not to introduce ambiguity that wasn't there, but to identify the ambiguity that already exists, and maintain it !

[Edited at 2015-10-27 13:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scrubbing a trade deal: Translators get behind the ears of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (podcast)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »