Spain
Local time: 04:23
Catalan to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2003

Hi,

I've been sent a PPT presentation which refuses to open:

"File xxxxx cannot be opened. File incomplete"

Anyone any idea what may have gone wrong and how to solve it?

Many thanks

Andy

Elinor Thomas
Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
It could have got corrupted while sending it to you Nov 6, 2003

Ask the person who sent it to resend it zipped, so you receive it in good condition.
Another possibility is that you have an older version of PPT that the one the file has been created.

Just some ideas.

Good luck!

andycw wrote:

Hi,

I've been sent a PPT presentation which refuses to open:

"File xxxxx cannot be opened. File incomplete"

Anyone any idea what may have gone wrong and how to solve it?

Many thanks

Andy

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Maybe the person who sent it to you... Nov 6, 2003

...still had the file open when it was attached to the email.

Ask them to resend it. That might help.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Elinor, Cilian Nov 6, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions but.....
it's my fault for not explaining things properly.

The translator finished the job and when he wanted to print it out, the file would not open. Then he discovered he couldn't open it at all. He sent it on to me so see if I could do anything with it.

I'm totally lost and I'm afraid time's running out.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:23
English to German
+ ...
probably corrupted Nov 6, 2003

I have heard several times of PP files getting corrupted (maybe by a voltage peak, maybe by the natural faults of computers..) and they were always lost forever..

I hope the translator used a CAT tool, so it won't be too much work to retranslate the file (although the formatting will be lost anyway).

If you send it to me I can try to open it in PP-97 and PP-XP, just to make sure it really won't work... See more
I have heard several times of PP files getting corrupted (maybe by a voltage peak, maybe by the natural faults of computers..) and they were always lost forever..

I hope the translator used a CAT tool, so it won't be too much work to retranslate the file (although the formatting will be lost anyway).

If you send it to me I can try to open it in PP-97 and PP-XP, just to make sure it really won't work

[email protected]
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Harry Nov 6, 2003

[quote]Harry_B wrote:

If you send it to me I can try to open it in PP-97 and PP-XP, just to make sure it really won't work

Right on both accounts. Probably corrupt, though I've never seen that particular message before, and yes, fortunately they are working with a CAT.

Thanks also for the offer, but I also tried to open it in 97/xp and "no way José".

Thanks to everyone.

Saludos,
Andy

Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Swedish to English
Opening corrupt files Nov 7, 2003

If you're working on a PC you could always try opening the document in notepad. That'll open almost anything. Then maybe you can see what's wrong with it.

//Nigel

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone Nov 7, 2003

They finally managed to re-create the presentation using the CAT - so thanks again to everyone until the next nightmare)

Saludos,
Andy

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OpenOffice.org Nov 7, 2003

Nigel Skipper wrote:

If you're working on a PC you could always try opening the document in notepad.

OpenOffice.org will often open Word documents that Word itself is unable to open, and it can handle PPT, so it's also worth a try.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open PPT

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »