Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:29
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 4, 2004

I found today that I could not paste anything from Internet Explorer. I select text in the normal way, click Edit/Copy,
but nothing becomes available to Paste.
I have tried rebooting the computer but it has not helped.
The same function in Word is still working normally.

Any advice?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:29
English to German
+ ...
Only on particular sites/pages? Feb 4, 2004

Hi Jack,
Could it be that this happens only on particular sites or pages? If the content is a graphics file or part of a Flash animation, for example, you wouldn't be able to copy anything.

HTH(?), Ralf

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
The same for me... Feb 4, 2004

too, Jack, but not daily.

Geneviève

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Only tried text Feb 4, 2004

No, Ralf, I was only trying to paste text, from Google and once from a ProZ forum.

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
That looks pretty annoying... Feb 5, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

When you copy a text from internet explorer and tried to paste on your any application like Word or others perhaps your firewall rules prevents you to do so. You had better control your internet access settings for programs (in Norton for ex)

Maybe the latest IE patch downloaded from the Windows Update web site made some annoying change to your registry. Of course Microsoft support coul help more than us to solve this annoying issue out,
Good luck
M

Francisco Bolaños
Francisco Bolaños  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
yes, perhaps the firewall... Feb 5, 2004

As Tayfun said, the firewall may prevent text and tables to be copied to Word. I used frequently this feature that allows copy/paste tables, text, colours from IE (it doesnt work with Opera 7); but everytime I do this, I receive a dialog box from McAfee Firewall "warning" me about this communication. Check firewall settings (in my case, the comm port used is in this copy/paste operation is 3328).
So true, Massimo. Im just "recovering" from a Microsoft patch for XP....
See more
As Tayfun said, the firewall may prevent text and tables to be copied to Word. I used frequently this feature that allows copy/paste tables, text, colours from IE (it doesnt work with Opera 7); but everytime I do this, I receive a dialog box from McAfee Firewall "warning" me about this communication. Check firewall settings (in my case, the comm port used is in this copy/paste operation is 3328).
So true, Massimo. Im just "recovering" from a Microsoft patch for XP. Mr Gates, please, dont help me again!

Gretings to you all
Paco
Collapse

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
One darn thing after another Feb 5, 2004

Still no solution to the Paste problem, but from last night onwards, I was not able to enter anything into the Internet (Google, ProZ, anywhere else). Have just solved this by lowering the internet security setting by one notch (ignoring warning not to) and can now communicate again.

Thanks for the advice, though the problem persists. The Critical Update patch of 2nd February appeared as a separate program in the Add/Remove Programs list so I was able to remove it, but this has no
... See more
Still no solution to the Paste problem, but from last night onwards, I was not able to enter anything into the Internet (Google, ProZ, anywhere else). Have just solved this by lowering the internet security setting by one notch (ignoring warning not to) and can now communicate again.

Thanks for the advice, though the problem persists. The Critical Update patch of 2nd February appeared as a separate program in the Add/Remove Programs list so I was able to remove it, but this has not restored the Paste function.

Also tried reducing (Sygate) Firewall setting from "Normal" to "Allow All", but this had no effect so I have put it back to "Normal" again.

[Edited at 2004-02-05 12:53]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Clipboard Express Feb 5, 2004

I have found some software called Clipboard Express, available from http://cheqsoft.com which is free in the "Lite" form (there is also a purchasable "Pro" form) which gives me what seems at present a rather clumsy workaround for this problem, using this software as an intermediary to get something on the clipboard which activates the Paste in the Internet Explorer (or other) Edit menu from which it can be pasted.... See more
I have found some software called Clipboard Express, available from http://cheqsoft.com which is free in the "Lite" form (there is also a purchasable "Pro" form) which gives me what seems at present a rather clumsy workaround for this problem, using this software as an intermediary to get something on the clipboard which activates the Paste in the Internet Explorer (or other) Edit menu from which it can be pasted.
But I'd rather have the original function back!

[Edited at 2004-02-05 15:44]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Download link for MSIE 6 SP1 Feb 5, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

You can not even repair IE as before from CD or I could not find a working download link..

Do you mean the download link for MSIE? Here you go:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Firewall settings and pasting as unformatted text Feb 5, 2004

Francisco Bolaños wrote:

As Tayfun said, the firewall may prevent text and tables to be copied to Word. I used frequently this feature that allows copy/paste tables, text, colours from IE (it doesnt work with Opera 7); but everytime I do this, I receive a dialog box from McAfee Firewall "warning" me about this communication. Check firewall settings (in my case, the comm port used is in this copy/paste operation is 3328 ).

Maybe you should permit communication on this port originated from MSIE, if your firewall allows it.

If you don't need the formatting, you should paste the text copied from a web page as unformatted text or RTF. In MS Word, use: Edit - Paste Special. This way there will be no Internet communication. Unfortunately, you can't paste tables this way. On the other hand, quite often you might want to use the formatting of the document you are pasting into and then pasting as unformatted text is much better (and faster) than the usual CTRL+V and manual reformatting.

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Some links that could help Feb 5, 2004

Jack,

the following discussions deal with the same problem. Maybe you will find the solution there:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1075257560
http://www.the-it-mercenary.com/forums/Windows98/posts/5462.html
... See more
Jack,

the following discussions deal with the same problem. Maybe you will find the solution there:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1075257560
http://www.the-it-mercenary.com/forums/Windows98/posts/5462.html

Your computer might be infected with W32.Blaster.Worm.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
More on Clipboard Express Feb 6, 2004

I now have the Pro version of this ($24.00).
Though I prefer the original Paste function for most things, Clipboard Express does have some advantages. E.g., if you are collecting material from Google to go into one Word document or somehwere on the Web (like this), you can get it all together and then just go once to the target document or webpage to enter everything - up to 10 times for the free version, up to 50 times for the Pro. It does other things too, which may mean more to others
... See more
I now have the Pro version of this ($24.00).
Though I prefer the original Paste function for most things, Clipboard Express does have some advantages. E.g., if you are collecting material from Google to go into one Word document or somehwere on the Web (like this), you can get it all together and then just go once to the target document or webpage to enter everything - up to 10 times for the free version, up to 50 times for the Pro. It does other things too, which may mean more to others than it does to me, so here is what they say about the free version (entered here, of course, by using Clipboard Express, since this is still the only way I can do it):

Clipboard Express

Free subset version of Clipboard Express Pro

Includes 10 storage locations

Paste by button, right click or direct text entry

Copy contents by button, right click or drag n drop

Clipboard contents displayed, even without the focus

Drag and drop to compliant applications - fantastic!!

Drag and drop to on-line forms (no re-typing)

Includes 2 scrollable storage spaces

Carriage returns supported

Clipboard field continually displays clipboard contents for easy reference

Counts clip size quickly and automatically

Brilliant for editing PAD files - easy to check character counts

Compare clip counts rapidly with paste clicks to clipboard

Toggle and drag program variable width

Mirror function to ensure drag icons ergonomically close

Temporary or Permanent storage

Launch your browser directly to any web addresses you have stored

IP Address checking

Easy access from the system tray (next to the clock)

Full system tray copy/paste function

Auto run option from start-up

Hope all this might be some use to somebody.

P.S. Had another Critical Update notification today. Downloaded the updates, one of which was a version of the February 2nd one, but modified on February 5th.
Hoped this might restore the Paste function, but no such luck, though for all I know it may stop others who download this update from suffering the same.

[Edited at 2004-02-06 19:37]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy/Paste function not working in Internet Explorer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »