Alexandra Becker
Alexandra Becker
Germany
Local time: 04:22
English to German
+ ...
Feb 16, 2004

Hi there,

I have to translate a technical manual with Trados (tagged rtf), but my client just sent me a printed version this manual where he manually crossed out parts of the text. In order to be able to prepare a proper cost estimation with Trados Analysis, I need to deactive those crossed out parts in my digital version.

Any suggestions??

Thanks a lot,
Alexandra

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Delete the text or apply a style Feb 16, 2004

You can make a temporary copy of the document(s) and simply delete those parts of the text that shouldn't be translated. Then you can analyse the rest.

Or, instead of deleting, you can apply a style for non-translatable text and enter the style name in Workbench (File - Setup - Non-translateble Text). Trados will skip this text during analysis.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Agree with Hynek but Feb 16, 2004

...Trados is there to help you.
Do not forget to quote the time you need to do this too.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use Tw4WinExternal style, for example Feb 16, 2004

Hi Alexandra,
Applying a certain style is a good idea; in fact, you can use a style provided by the Trados template (use the sAddTagStyles macro to activate it in Word).

Toledo wrote:

I don't quite get your comment here: how is any software supposed to deal with manual text deletions on hardcopy?

Best regards, Ralf

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
What I mean ist... Feb 16, 2004

how is any software supposed to deal with manual text deletions on hardcopy?

Right, for that I mean the quotation must consider not only the posterior analysis in Trados, simply it take more time.
I know that have nothing to do with the question... but maybe.
I remember a job where cause this analysis I lost money, cause I forgot to consider other things and just gave my quotation with the results of the analysis.
I have learned in this case that it is not the same
... See more
how is any software supposed to deal with manual text deletions on hardcopy?

Right, for that I mean the quotation must consider not only the posterior analysis in Trados, simply it take more time.
I know that have nothing to do with the question... but maybe.
I remember a job where cause this analysis I lost money, cause I forgot to consider other things and just gave my quotation with the results of the analysis.
I have learned in this case that it is not the same to translate 100 word in a doc than 100 word distributed in 10 hard tagged docs.
Analysis give the same rsult, so I thnk this analysis is created to help clients spend less not for translators win more.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Toledo wrote:

I don't quite get your comment here: how is any software supposed to deal with manual text deletions on hardcopy?

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deaktivate text passages for Trados analysis

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »