spellcheck in bilingual documents
Thread poster: Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2006

¿How can I check the spelling of bilingual documents with Word? First one language, then the other. Is it
possible?

Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:30
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Set the language for each part Apr 28, 2006

Highlight the text parts and choose the corresponding language via Tools >> Language >> Set Language, choosing the language and then OK. Once you've done that with the whole text, you should be able to spell check in both languages, with the spell checker detecting the set language and using the corresponding dictionary.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 04:30
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My way of doing it Apr 28, 2006

Going ding-dong (for instance "english-deutsch", "english-deutsch") through hundreds of segments as suggested is no fun, I would assume it is error-prone and tiring.

My way - at the moment is
i) spell check clean, untranslated original

ii) If you use TRADOS,
ii.1 pretranslate the new version of the original
ii. 2 spellcheck the bilingual text/target segments in word or TagEditor

iii) if you do not use TRADOS or similar...
iii.1 c
... See more
Going ding-dong (for instance "english-deutsch", "english-deutsch") through hundreds of segments as suggested is no fun, I would assume it is error-prone and tiring.

My way - at the moment is
i) spell check clean, untranslated original

ii) If you use TRADOS,
ii.1 pretranslate the new version of the original
ii. 2 spellcheck the bilingual text/target segments in word or TagEditor

iii) if you do not use TRADOS or similar...
iii.1 clean the bilingual document to get the target
iii.2 spellcheck the clean target document
iii.3 align the spellcked original and target back to a bilingual version, now with both parts spell-checked

Of course the "if you do not use TRADOS..." alternative is rather blue-eyed (highly improbable to have file alignment but no target spellchekcing in the software used, for instance)

smo
Collapse

Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bilingual spell-check May 2, 2006

Thanks a lot, Ingo and Vito.

The task isn´t simple because I develop ESL (English as a Second Language) self-study books for Spanish speakers, so the explanations are in Spanish and the content in English, which makes it very difficult to find a quick and effective way to spell-check the texts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spellcheck in bilingual documents

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »