Téma indítója: Rod Novillo
Rod Novillo
Rod Novillo
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 14:51
angol - spanyol
+ ...
Oct 27, 2009

There are many theories out there as to how and what to study. A combination of both upper level reading comp and high vocabulary knowledge seems to be the winning combo. Another trick is to refresh your latin-root origins in case you need to guess on meaning of words. All in all there are vast amounts of material out there both free-ware and also pricy.... if you do your research, you can find lots of stuff to study on free-ware publications. I have attempted at accumulating and disseminating ... See more
There are many theories out there as to how and what to study. A combination of both upper level reading comp and high vocabulary knowledge seems to be the winning combo. Another trick is to refresh your latin-root origins in case you need to guess on meaning of words. All in all there are vast amounts of material out there both free-ware and also pricy.... if you do your research, you can find lots of stuff to study on free-ware publications. I have attempted at accumulating and disseminating much of this material.... if interested visit transart.biz in the posts section for GRE vocab, Study tips and other reference material. A sweet link in there is about free online linguistics courses through MIT.

Please share your input.... what is your method for studying ?
Collapse

Rod Novillo
Rod Novillo
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
So many pass the Spanish with 80% and up, yet get stuck in the English !!?? Oct 27, 2009

Theory as to why many examinees pass the Spanish w/ flying colors yet Not quite get the necessary 70% in English.

Article Link:

http://transart007.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/theory-on-why-it-is-so-much-easier-to-pass-the-spanish-portion-of-written-exam/

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
angol - orosz
+ ...
Does public libriry card count as "free-ware"? Oct 28, 2009

Because that's what all you need, really. Public library has all you need to bring your English to the highest level, and more: fiction, non-fiction, dictionaries, grammar book, etc. You name it - they have it.

My favorite of all - audiobooks (on tape or CD). Los Angeles public library has a wide selection of them. It's a great way to transform tedious driving time into learning time!

Rod Novillo
Rod Novillo
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Some libraries are better than others... Oct 29, 2009

I have been in some Libraries where you couldn't find a worth while resource if your life depended on it... ... When it comes to Legal Interpreting stuff.... the best and most current is on the web, the trick is in knowing how to look for it, find it, and hold on to it. I recently went to Orange County CA. Law Public Library, and they barely had anything on legal interpreting, it was a big let down, but it forced me to create and research through alternate modes.
To answer the question-
... See more
I have been in some Libraries where you couldn't find a worth while resource if your life depended on it... ... When it comes to Legal Interpreting stuff.... the best and most current is on the web, the trick is in knowing how to look for it, find it, and hold on to it. I recently went to Orange County CA. Law Public Library, and they barely had anything on legal interpreting, it was a big let down, but it forced me to create and research through alternate modes.
To answer the question---> 'free-ware' I think corresponds more to computer programs and applications that are free for users. The way the internet has made this widely possible is by being able to monetize its 'traffic' without having to directly advertise to subscribers/users/clients/consumers.... whatever you call it..... To learn more about how the internet is evolving to people's benefit, search web monetization, web traffic, pay per click, free-ware.
Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

Because that's what all you need, really. Public library has all you need to bring your English to the highest level, and more: fiction, non-fiction, dictionaries, grammar book, etc. You name it - they have it.

My favorite of all - audiobooks (on tape or CD). Los Angeles public library has a wide selection of them. It's a great way to transform tedious driving time into learning time!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 17:51
román - angol
+ ...
if you mean "legalese" Oct 30, 2009

get in touch with your Court Administrator and ask them to give you free booklets about the court system in your state; did you attend any workshop for the Consortium exam ? They provide a lot of useful material.

Rod Novillo
Rod Novillo
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
theory Jan 27, 2010

[quote]Rod Novillo wrote:

Theory as to why many examinees pass the Spanish w/ flying colors yet Not quite get the necessary 70% in English.

Article Link:

http://wp.me/pF15C-4L

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

State Exam for Interpreting English Portion

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »