Academic advices on selecting a Grad School for interpretation education?
Tópico cartaz: Bair
Bair
Bair
Local time: 16:46
chinês para inglês
Jan 7, 2010

Hello everyone, (hope this doesn't look silly...)

I am currently an undergrad student. I want to become eventually a simultaneous interpreter.

I did some research on MA in Translation and Interpretation and discovered some graduate schools that offered this degree, which includes the Monterey Institution of International Studies, University of Arkansas, Kent State, Massachusetts Amherst, etc., but still have no idea which one to go to, or should I get a degree in othe
... See more
Hello everyone, (hope this doesn't look silly...)

I am currently an undergrad student. I want to become eventually a simultaneous interpreter.

I did some research on MA in Translation and Interpretation and discovered some graduate schools that offered this degree, which includes the Monterey Institution of International Studies, University of Arkansas, Kent State, Massachusetts Amherst, etc., but still have no idea which one to go to, or should I get a degree in other fields like Economics or such? Could I get some advice here about which school to go to, please? (Not limited to the schools I listed above~ )

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Rui
Collapse

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 13:46
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Monterrey Jan 8, 2010

I heard Monterrey, California, has a great reputation.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
japonês para francês
+ ...
It depends Jan 8, 2010

It depends on your working languages and on the market you are interested in.

In my opinion, the best schools are probably in Europe: ISIT, ETI, ISIT, Westminster and eventually Leeds. ISIT is great and almost for free but I don't think you can't get in without French in your combinaison. In any case, studying in a country of your B language is probably a good idea.

Being based in Europe means those schools are close to the European Institutions, the UN, UNESCO, etc. S
... See more
It depends on your working languages and on the market you are interested in.

In my opinion, the best schools are probably in Europe: ISIT, ETI, ISIT, Westminster and eventually Leeds. ISIT is great and almost for free but I don't think you can't get in without French in your combinaison. In any case, studying in a country of your B language is probably a good idea.

Being based in Europe means those schools are close to the European Institutions, the UN, UNESCO, etc. Short internships at those institutions are often part of the curriculum.

Monterrey seems to be more for people who are interested in working on the private market, even though a couple of persons each year manage to get into the EU institutions or the UN.
There is also a good program for Chinese Translation and Interpreting at the University of Queensland (MACTI).

You can find more information on forums such as http://interpreters.freeforums.org/index.php and http://forum.lokanova.net/.

[Modifié le 2010-01-08 03:57 GMT]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 21:46
flamengo para inglês
+ ...
I and E Jan 8, 2010

ISIT= 6500 or 7500 euro
ESIT=625 euros
English and France and another language obligatory. ACCC-combination.

Andrea Shah
Andrea Shah  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 16:46
português para inglês
+ ...
MFA vs MA Jan 10, 2010

University of Arkansas and University of Iowa both offer MFA programs, which differ significantly from other translation programs (they are designed as terminal degrees for those interested in literary translation and they have a large literature component). More importantly, neither of the two teach interpretation.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
japonês para francês
+ ...
Indeed Jan 14, 2010

Williamson wrote:

ISIT= 6500 or 7500 euro
ESIT=625 euros
English and France and another language obligatory. ACCC-combination.

Indeed I switched letters. Thanks for correcting me

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Academic advices on selecting a Grad School for interpretation education?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »