hi everyone
Thread poster: SarahVV
SarahVV
SarahVV
Local time: 13:50
Jul 8, 2011

i'm an interpreter. I work for the French embassy in my country. I'd like to work for the UN but i really don't know from where to start! Could you help me guys? please?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:50
Spanish to Ingiriisi
+ ...
Hi, and welcome Jul 8, 2011

You could start by monitoring this website: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/examin/ets.shtml

Even though nothing may be currently available, they make the annoucements there.

All the best.

SarahVV
SarahVV
TOPIC STARTER
... Jul 8, 2011

thank you parrot
i really appreciate

Claudia Brauer
Claudia Brauer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:50
Member (2011)
Ingiriisi to Spanish
+ ...
UN interpreters Jul 8, 2011

The first thing is that interpreting jobs at UN are not often, but rather scarce. Once you become a UN interpreter, you'll want to stay there, thus, low rotation gives way to low amount of new openings.
UN interpreters must be fully fluent and proficient in at least 3 (THREE) languages.
UN interpreters need to be highly educated, with at least a BA, PREFERABLY IN LANGUAGES OR LINGUISTICS OR TRANSLATION. Many of the interpreters actually have a masters or higher.
UN interprete
... See more
The first thing is that interpreting jobs at UN are not often, but rather scarce. Once you become a UN interpreter, you'll want to stay there, thus, low rotation gives way to low amount of new openings.
UN interpreters must be fully fluent and proficient in at least 3 (THREE) languages.
UN interpreters need to be highly educated, with at least a BA, PREFERABLY IN LANGUAGES OR LINGUISTICS OR TRANSLATION. Many of the interpreters actually have a masters or higher.
UN interpreters are expected to have a lot of real-world SIMULTANEOUS interpreting experience, fully verifiable (and they will verify it)
UN interpreters must undergo a full-scale security screening (almost as homeland security does), so your past IS looked at
I found a previous post in Proz, written by a UN interpreter, and she is very good at explaining the requirements. Ref.:http://ita.proz.com/forum/interpreting/121870-what_do_i_need_to_do_to_become_a_un_interpreter_.html
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:20
German to Ingiriisi
Contacts and country quotas Jul 11, 2011

As in the case of all international organisations, contacts within the organisation, especially with other UN interpreters, can also play an important role here.

The UN also has quotas for every country that is a member, i.e. they only employ a certain number of people from each member country. I think this only applies to full time positions, though. So, whether someone is accepted as a full-time UN interpreter will also depend on their nationality, I'm afraid. It's quite "politic
... See more
As in the case of all international organisations, contacts within the organisation, especially with other UN interpreters, can also play an important role here.

The UN also has quotas for every country that is a member, i.e. they only employ a certain number of people from each member country. I think this only applies to full time positions, though. So, whether someone is accepted as a full-time UN interpreter will also depend on their nationality, I'm afraid. It's quite "political" in a way.

Claudia Brauer wrote:
UN interpreters are expected to have a lot of real-world SIMULTANEOUS interpreting experience, fully verifiable (and they will verify it)

True, but I do know of one case where the interpreter got the job almost straight after university and with only a few years experience as a translator, not as an interpreter.
Collapse

SarahVV
SarahVV
TOPIC STARTER
.... Jul 11, 2011

Niraja wrote:

The UN also has quotas for every country that is a member, i.e. they only employ a certain number of people from each member country. I think this only applies to full time positions, though. So, whether someone is accepted as a full-time UN interpreter will also depend on their nationality, I'm afraid. It's quite "political" in a way.

Claudia Brauer wrote:

True, but I do know of one case where the interpreter got the job almost straight after university and with only a few years experience as a translator, not as an interpreter.

really? some years of experience as a translator and hired by the UN as an interpreter! I'm so hopeful right now... I think that the most important is to pass the contest!! right?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hi everyone

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »