Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sep 30, 2011

I'm not a follower of the Christian religion and I'm not sure if this is "the lighter side" or not, but I thought I would just remind you all, dear Colleagues, that today is St. Jerome's day. St Jerome is the patron saint of translators. Here is one idea of him, hard at work, as imagined by Antonello da Messina:

http://tinyurl.com/6x5rn55

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Another image Sep 30, 2011

Just because this is a favourite image by Dürer, I thought I'd contribute this: http://musicalrose.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/saint-jerome.jpg

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Good picture Sep 30, 2011

I liked the Antonello de Messina picture so much that I've downloaded it to "My Pictures" and may make it my screensaver.
How tidy his office is! But, curiously, there appears to be a small kitchen paper or toilet roll affixed to the end of his desk. What can it be?
Thanks, Tom.
Jenny

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Myths Sep 30, 2011

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I liked the Antonello de Messina picture so much that I've downloaded it to "My Pictures" and may make it my screensaver.
How tidy his office is! But, curiously, there appears to be a small kitchen paper or toilet roll affixed to the end of his desk. What can it be?
Thanks, Tom.
Jenny

Jenny, Jerome is my desktop picture for today!

All the items in the painting have mythological signficance, if you read up about Jerome. As in much Renaissance painting, it's very "scientific"; nothing is gratuitous. Note the tame lion, which had a thorn removed from its paw by Jerome. Another interesting Christian contamination with the earlier Androcles myth.

We in the UK have the good fortune of having this painting in the National Gallery in London. Don't ask me how it got there.

Helen - Dürer's lion is magnificent !

[Edited at 2011-09-30 08:39 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Roll Sep 30, 2011

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Thanks, Tom.
Jenny

Lovely picture - could it be that the 'roll' is part of a place-holder hanging down from the large tome above it?

[Edited at 2011-09-30 09:34 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Must do Sep 30, 2011

Rachel Fell wrote:
could it be that the 'roll' looks ise part of a place-holder hanging down from the large tome above it?

I think it's a Post-It note "must buy milk".

Rachel Fell
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Milk... Sep 30, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Rachel Fell wrote:
could it be that the 'roll' looks ise part of a place-holder hanging down from the large tome above it?

I think it's a Post-It note "must buy milk".

- for his cat, sitting patiently waiting on the left:-)

[Edited at 2011-09-30 15:19 GMT]

Patricia Crotty
Patricia Crotty  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:18
Italian to English
Difficult working conditions Sep 30, 2011

What I want to know is how on earth did he manage to translate the Bible without being able to consult the KudoZ Glossaries....

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
French to English
A polymath Sep 30, 2011

Wikipedia says St. Jerome was also patron of "archeologists; archivists; Bible scholars; librarians; libraries; school children; [and] students."

Now that's a busy saint!

Happy Translators' Day, everyone. I'm telling my friends to pet a translator today and give it some coffee.

Stephanie

[Edited at 2011-09-30 11:02 GMT]

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Significance of red robes, anyone? Sep 30, 2011

My favourite image is the one (1480) by Domenico Ghirlandaio, the artist of this picture, wandered about Florence between 1449 and 1494 and to whom Michelangelo was apprenticed early on in his life. Can be found here on Wikipaedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome.

I like the device to hold down the pages of a book, wonder what he had stored in those little jars on the shelves (nuts a
... See more
My favourite image is the one (1480) by Domenico Ghirlandaio, the artist of this picture, wandered about Florence between 1449 and 1494 and to whom Michelangelo was apprenticed early on in his life. Can be found here on Wikipaedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome.

I like the device to hold down the pages of a book, wonder what he had stored in those little jars on the shelves (nuts and raisins for brain power, perhaps?), but what I am really interested to know is the symbolic significance of the "red theatre curtains" he wore, as a friend once remarked.

Antonello de Messina also depicts St Jerome wearing red garb - my guess is it represents a saint or a scholar, but I would welcome more erudite input.

I also love the way he is holding his head (in the Ghirlandaio), as if it is about to burst. Familiar?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
da Sep 30, 2011

Antonello *da* Messina. He was Sicilian and came from Messina. Just as Leonardo came from Vinci.

I think Jerome's greatness lies in the fact that his work of translation had an immense influence. Something we should all bear in mind about our own work. It opens doors.

BTW Allison - your link doesn't seem to work.

[Edited at 2011-09-30 12:06 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Cardinal's robes Sep 30, 2011

It seems that St Jerome is often depicted wearing the red robes of a cardinal, although, I read, the office of cardinal didn't exist during his lifetime. In the DA Messina painting, there's what I think is a cardinal's red hat on the shelf behind him (or is it a chunk of meat for the lion?). And in the Dürer etching, there's a cardinal's hat, hanging on the wall at the back. There's also a somewhat later depiction of him by El Greco, likewise wearing a cardinal's red robes.
Jenny

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Er---- Sep 30, 2011

The ANTONELLO painting

Jerome's hat always appears. Maybe he got out a lot, as all translators should. Maybe it's symbolic of a man who is acquainted with the world.

[Edited at 2011-09-30 12:10 GMT]

Rachel Fell
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Allison's link... Sep 30, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

...workd if you remove the full stop. It also mentions his depiction in cardinal's garb.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ahimé Sep 30, 2011

Rachel Fell wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

...workd if you remove the full stop. It also mentions his depiction in cardinal's garb.

Ah yes. thanks.

The correct link is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome

I'm struck by the painting that depicts "Jerome in the desert, tormented by his memories of the dancing girls of Rome."

I know that feeling. All part of being a translator.

[Edited at 2011-09-30 13:05 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

St Jerome

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »