Arabic Grammar
Auteur du fil: imprimatur
imprimatur
imprimatur
Local time: 05:55
anglais vers allemand
Feb 15, 2007

Could anyone tell me whether Arabic grammar changes from one country to the next and, if so, does it change significantly? I imagine that this is not a straightforward question, but if anyone can point me towards any good websites or references that discuss this issue at least, that would be great.

Thanks.

Mohammed Lafi
Mohammed Lafi
Allemagne
anglais vers arabe
+ ...
Arabic Grammar Feb 16, 2007

.It depens on what variety of Arabic you are talking about.
If you are asking about Modern Standard Arabic, the answer is NO. Standard Arabic Grammar is the same all over the world.

The second variety of Arabic is spoken Arabic. Spoken Arabic grammars differ to a small extent. You have North African Arabic, Middle Eastern Arabic, Gulf Arabic, Egyptian and Sudanese Arabic, else.
For example, in Syrian Arabic , they say ' Kulkin' which means ' all of you' for the female
... See more
.It depens on what variety of Arabic you are talking about.
If you are asking about Modern Standard Arabic, the answer is NO. Standard Arabic Grammar is the same all over the world.

The second variety of Arabic is spoken Arabic. Spoken Arabic grammars differ to a small extent. You have North African Arabic, Middle Eastern Arabic, Gulf Arabic, Egyptian and Sudanese Arabic, else.
For example, in Syrian Arabic , they say ' Kulkin' which means ' all of you' for the female and male addressees, whereas the same expression is used for male addressees in Jordan and MSA.
As for references, you can see ' Modern Written Arabic' by Said Badawi and others, 'Modern Arabic: Structures, Functions and Varieties' by Clive Holes and 'The Arabic Language Today ' by Beetson.

For research help, you can try google by typing Arabic grammar, colloquial arabic ect
Collapse

imprimatur
imprimatur
Local time: 05:55
anglais vers allemand
AUTEUR DU FIL
Thank you Feb 19, 2007

Thank you Mohammed, much appreciated.

I don't suppose you know where I can look for information on using the correct gender and preposition?

I have a couple of queries and woudl like to research them.

Google is ok, but not getting anything definite.

Thanks

[Edited at 2007-02-19 16:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic Grammar

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »