Brendan McNally  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:02
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 23

Hi,

Since yesterday evening, DeepL web translator has been acting very strangely. Every time I paste in a few paragraphs of text, when try to edit the target text, the following paragraph in the target text suddenly disappears. This process repeats every time I edit, until the whole of the following text disappears. I've tried with different texts, in different languages, different browsers, and different computers, and it's the same each time. It even happens in the DeepL pro app.
... See more
Hi,

Since yesterday evening, DeepL web translator has been acting very strangely. Every time I paste in a few paragraphs of text, when try to edit the target text, the following paragraph in the target text suddenly disappears. This process repeats every time I edit, until the whole of the following text disappears. I've tried with different texts, in different languages, different browsers, and different computers, and it's the same each time. It even happens in the DeepL pro app.

Does anyone else have this problem? If you read this and use DeepL, please let me know if this happens for you.
Collapse

Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:02
French to German
+ ...
about DeepL Jan 23

That happens when they think that you have used your credit, meaning the number of words you are allowed.

Brendan McNally
United Kingdom
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have a DeepL Pro Advanced plan "Use the Web Translator without limits" Jan 23

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I have a DeepL Pro Advanced plan, which says I can "Use the Web Translator without limits", so I don't think that's the problem, unless I've misunderstood what that means.

Again thanks for replying. Do you use DeepL? Have you tried to replicate this problem?

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
can't replicate the issue Jan 23

I can edit the target text and nothing disappears (using the free web tool).
Instead, when clicking on a target word, I get a pop up (that covers the next paragraph) with the option to change the entire sentence - with variants of the sentence displayed in the pop up - or single words.

Brendan McNally
United Kingdom
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Video of the problem Jan 23

Hi,

thanks so much for trying to replicate the problem.

Did you have more paragraphs below the paragraph you were editing? Were they unaffected? Did you try with different paragraphs, it sometimes doesn't happen.

Here is a link to a video of the problem, you'll see the paragraphs below the one I'm editing d
... See more
Hi,

thanks so much for trying to replicate the problem.

Did you have more paragraphs below the paragraph you were editing? Were they unaffected? Did you try with different paragraphs, it sometimes doesn't happen.

Here is a link to a video of the problem, you'll see the paragraphs below the one I'm editing disappear after the edit.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnrqJt2WNF_KhodyYib8v1w3ckKRJQ?e=KsWRf5
Collapse

Quentin NEVEN
Quentin NEVEN  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (Jan 2024)
English to French
+ ...
I have the same problem Jan 23

Hello,

I just tried.

When I change a word in the first paragraph, it does not impact the next one.

When I change a word in the second, it erases the third.

Very weird...

They will probably fix the issue soon.

Zea_Mays
yinnyann

Brendan McNally
United Kingdom
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Jan 23

Thanks so much, relieved to know it's not just me. I've sent them a the link to the video, hopefully they'll fix it.

thanks again!

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
. Jan 23

Renate Radziwill-Rall wrote:

That happens when they think that you have used your credit, meaning the number of words you are allowed.

Yes, it happens when you have reached your daily word limit, at least in the free version.
Clearing the cache, deleting cookies and/or waiting some time could help. Or try to open the tool in a private window.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 23

Quentin NEVEN wrote:

Hello,

I just tried.

When I change a word in the first paragraph, it does not impact the next one.

When I change a word in the second, it erases the third.

Very weird...

They will probably fix the issue soon.

I confirm, the issue happens after the first paragraph.

Brendan McNally
United Kingdom
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sometimes first paragraph as well Jan 23

I found it does sometimes happen for the first paragraph as well, and also it sometimes doesn't happen on subsequent paragraphs, not sure if it's a random thing or there's some logic to it.

Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
This is not the first time! Jan 23

Using DeepL (Pro Advanced) in Trados Studio to translate a technical manual (115,000 words from FR into DE), I encountered MASSIVE problems due to DeepL :

- It systematically changes the infinite form of verbs into formal (or sometimes informal) imperative => very useful when translating work instructions: I had to rephrase all the concerned sentences!

- It doesn't detect parts of segments followed by a semicolon or a colon => you always have to check whether you have
... See more
Using DeepL (Pro Advanced) in Trados Studio to translate a technical manual (115,000 words from FR into DE), I encountered MASSIVE problems due to DeepL :

- It systematically changes the infinite form of verbs into formal (or sometimes informal) imperative => very useful when translating work instructions: I had to rephrase all the concerned sentences!

- It doesn't detect parts of segments followed by a semicolon or a colon => you always have to check whether you have the whole translation or just part of it (great when working on such as huge document);

- Or, sometimes parts of segments are repeated;

- It doesn't use the right format for dates and punctuation;

I reported all these problems to DeepL and I received a message saying that they were aware that the product was not yet "infallible" and that they would pass on the information to the developers so that it COULD be "taken into consideration" for future improvements.

So, I'm not at all surprised by the problems you face!

The question is which MT to use?

[Bearbeitet am 2024-01-23 15:06 GMT]
Collapse

Brendan McNally
United Kingdom
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Jan 23

Yes it has a few annoying faults, like it always translates n-dashes as hyphens, and replaces curly quotation marks with straight ones, both of which go against some translation company style guides.

However, in my experience, DeepL is still by far the best MT there is (at least for the languages it covers), and I would hate to be without it!

Inge Schumacher

Brendan McNally
United Kingdom
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with DeepL fixed?! Jan 24

It seems like the problem has been fixed, I tried it again this morning, and it doesn't seem to be happening now

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Jan 24

Inge Schumacher wrote:

- It doesn't detect parts of segments followed by a semicolon or a colon => you always have to check whether you have the whole translation or just part of it (great when working on such as huge document);

- Or, sometimes parts of segments are repeated;

- It doesn't use the right format for dates and punctuation;

Imagine DeepL not being perfect yet, the horror.

Do you even understand what you are actually complaining about, and the consequences of the possible solutions?

It is well-known that even DeepL (very likely the best MT engine around) has its flaws, and let's be grateful for that. Perhaps you could start with not accepting to post-edit a technical manual if you're not up to the task. Machine translation isn't some magical solution that will solve all your problems. It requires hard work to learn to use it properly and in a productive and quality producing way.

Renée van Bijsterveld
patransword
neilmac

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL acting strangely

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »