Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you do if you notice a spelling error in the name of a recipient of your sent email?
投稿者: ProZ.com Staff
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
トルコ
Local time: 20:26
メンバー
英語 から トルコ語
I may have made that mistake Sep 14, 2021

AnnaSCHTR wrote:

I try to be really careful but it happens once in a while, especially when answering to messages from different time-zones before coffee or after midnight.
My recipients, in turn, make the same mistake. You'd expect my name is difficult to mess up but there seem to be many possibilities. Including a bit international agency employee from China who stubbornly addressed me by my last name. When I gently pointed out her error she replied she was sure "Anna" was my last name.

I'm not sure, but I feel that, as a rule, some Eastern European people write their surname before their first name. Anyways that was certainly the case with the PMs of a certain Hungarian translation agency where my general ignorance of Hungarian female names and Gmail's predictive text might have led me to address them by their surnames, which must have been irritating for them.

Mark Fessenden

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
ラトビア
2014に入会
フランス語 から ラトヴィア語
+ ...
First and last names Sep 14, 2021

Now I'm wondering how often I've made that mistake too. I remember one time when somebody from France messaged me on Facebook and I automatically replied using the first name shown as that person's first name, although it seemed a bit strange. He had entered his last name first.

Not to mention all the times when it's impossible to tell or when certain rules apply. I've noticed that German clients always write very formally the first time ("Sehr geehrte Frau [last name]"), but immedi
... See more
Now I'm wondering how often I've made that mistake too. I remember one time when somebody from France messaged me on Facebook and I automatically replied using the first name shown as that person's first name, although it seemed a bit strange. He had entered his last name first.

Not to mention all the times when it's impossible to tell or when certain rules apply. I've noticed that German clients always write very formally the first time ("Sehr geehrte Frau [last name]"), but immediately switch to very informal style ("Hallo [first name]" and "du" instead of "Sie") when I reply. I did the same with a Swiss client once, but she just kept replying in the same formal style. I felt very embarrassed and switched back to it too.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Maria da Glória Teixeira

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
デンマーク
Local time: 19:26
2003に入会
デンマーク語 から 英語
+ ...
First and last name might be confusing, as opposed to given name and family name? Sep 15, 2021

AnnaSCHTR wrote:

I try to be really careful but it happens once in a while, especially when answering to messages from different time-zones before coffee or after midnight.
My recipients, in turn, make the same mistake. You'd expect my name is difficult to mess up but there seem to be many possibilities. Including a bit international agency employee from China who stubbornly addressed me by my last name. When I gently pointed out her error she replied she was sure "Anna" was my last name.

Way back, the English terms were Christian name and surname, but in recognition that not everyone was Christian, even officially, the personal name became the 'given' name, as opposed to the hereditary name, which came automatically.
Technically, the surname is an 'added' name, which may or may not be logical!

The old pattern in England was that each child received its own name, and had an 'added' tag - son/daughter of, (Johnson, Robertson, Davidson ...) or a family might take its name from a place, farm or town. An adult might be known by a trade - hence all the Smiths, Millers, Bakers, Butchers, Carpenters etc.

In a tradition where the family name comes first and the individual name comes last, calling them 'First' and 'last' names might be confusing!

I personally don't mind whether people call me Christine or Christina, which often happens, or Mrs Anderson instead of Mrs Andersen - unless my name is used for security. Just as long as no one calls me Chris Then I know how others feel!

I take care to spell people's names correctly, copying and pasting from their mails if there are accents and diacritics, and sometimes saving them in my AutoCorrect if I am likely to need them again.
I rarely discover if I spell a name incorrectly, but I would probably apologise in the next mail if I was afraid I had offended anyone.

[Edited at 2021-09-15 14:22 GMT]

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Oksana Weiss

Baran Keki
トルコ
メンバー
英語 から トルコ語
Insightful knowledge Sep 16, 2021

Christine Andersen wrote:
The old pattern in England was that each child received its own name, and had an 'added' tag - son/daughter of, (Johnson, Robertson, Davidson ...) or a family might take its name from a place, farm or town. An adult might be known by a trade - hence all the Smiths, Millers, Bakers, Butchers, Carpenters etc.

I've heard of a lot of Johnsons, Robertsons, Davidsons etc., but I've never heard of a surname hinting at somebody being 'daughter of' somebody. Can you provide an example?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
ポルトガル
Local time: 18:26
2007に入会
英語 から ポルトガル語
+ ...
Iceland Sep 16, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

I've heard of a lot of Johnsons, Robertsons, Davidsons etc., but I've never heard of a surname hinting at somebody being 'daughter of' somebody. Can you provide an example?

That’s what happens in Iceland. All men have last names ending with -son, and all women have surnames ending with -dóttir.

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Liena Vijupe
Oksana Weiss

Baran Keki
トルコ
メンバー
英語 から トルコ語
Thanks Sep 16, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:
and all women have surnames ending with -dóttir.

I didn't know that.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
デンマーク
2003に入会
デンマーク語 から 英語
+ ...
Women used to take their husband's name... Sep 16, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Many women still take their husband's name when they marry, and there is the old adage in law and other fields - 'Man has embraced woman since time immemorial'.
Girls took their father's surname as a rule, and then their husband's.
We discussed for a long time whether I would keep my own name when I married - but my husband's is easier to spell!

In Denmark it was traditional for girls to attach '-datter' to the father's name, so women used family names such as Andersdatter or Petersdatter.
Added to that, the name changed every generation - in my husband's family the oldest son alternated between Anders Nielsen, whose son would be Niels Andersen, followed by an Anders Nielsen...

I know another family who alternated between Christiansen and Lorenzen the same way!

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Liena Vijupe
Oksana Weiss

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
ポルトガル
2015に入会
英語 から ポルトガル語
+ ...
Interesting discussion! Sep 16, 2021

Some of the polls can be ridiculous, but you are getting this one in an interesting discussion. Thanks!
Regarding the question I totally agree with most part of the answers: I would send an email with my apologies right afterwards.
I do not remember making any spelling error in anyone's name, because I am careful; I always try to read my emails before sending them, and besides, I have my spell checker enabled.
About reading my first given name wrong or misspelled in emails… i
... See more
Some of the polls can be ridiculous, but you are getting this one in an interesting discussion. Thanks!
Regarding the question I totally agree with most part of the answers: I would send an email with my apologies right afterwards.
I do not remember making any spelling error in anyone's name, because I am careful; I always try to read my emails before sending them, and besides, I have my spell checker enabled.
About reading my first given name wrong or misspelled in emails… it will be difficult because I have been “blessed” with one that is "international".
On the other hand, my second given name might cause more problems... but even native speakers can get it mangled as “Ford”, “For” and “Four”. Interesting!
It happened to me once, when I asked for an invoice at a pharmacy. They couldn't get it
Collapse

Baran Keki
Liena Vijupe

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
ドイツ
2011に入会
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
Nothing Sep 17, 2021

I would do (and have done) nothing. Recently, I replied to PM starting e-mail with "Dead Oceane," and when I re-read it, I felt ashamed: it sounded awful! But what should I do? To write "Sorry, Oceane (are you actually he or she? I was unable to find it out, even with Google's help), I did not mean it! I know you are alive and dear" would be equally faux pas. Therefore I just have left it, hoping that the PM has a sense of humor and T9 understanding.
P.S. in my defence I would like to ment
... See more
I would do (and have done) nothing. Recently, I replied to PM starting e-mail with "Dead Oceane," and when I re-read it, I felt ashamed: it sounded awful! But what should I do? To write "Sorry, Oceane (are you actually he or she? I was unable to find it out, even with Google's help), I did not mean it! I know you are alive and dear" would be equally faux pas. Therefore I just have left it, hoping that the PM has a sense of humor and T9 understanding.
P.S. in my defence I would like to mention, that I was already called Osaka, Toscana, and even Alexander and Boris by PMs. It does not really matter, as soon as they spell my name right in the PO (which they do not always do).

[Edited at 2021-09-17 13:12 GMT]
Collapse

filizt
filizt
米国
Local time: 10:26
トルコ語 から 英語
+ ...
Bigger fish to fry Sep 23, 2021

Being someone who has been called Feliz, Felix, Phillip, Flitz, and anything in between, I'll admit my mistakes haven't been as grave, and I have made a point of using the correct spelling in subsequent emails. I've made worse professional mistakes and lived to tell about it.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
ポルトガル
2007に入会
英語 から ポルトガル語
+ ...
So Sep 26, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

After a period when we had a new Quick Poll every day, this one has been up for one week, I wonder if it will drag for days on end as it happened some months ago? Will my rant be heard? Hope so…❤

Over two weeks later, I haven't been heard yet...

Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice
Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice
カメルーン
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
It has never happened to me Sep 28, 2021

Such a scenario has never happened with me but if it did, it will depend on my relationship with the recipient. If it is a regular client, I will simply apologize in the next email because what's sure is that it's not our first conversation, so the client knows I surely know the name, was just a typing mistake.

Meanwhile if it is my first contact with a potential client, I will send a revised version of the email, though it won't be different from apologizing but it looks more profe
... See more
Such a scenario has never happened with me but if it did, it will depend on my relationship with the recipient. If it is a regular client, I will simply apologize in the next email because what's sure is that it's not our first conversation, so the client knows I surely know the name, was just a typing mistake.

Meanwhile if it is my first contact with a potential client, I will send a revised version of the email, though it won't be different from apologizing but it looks more professional for me. Fortunately the client may have not yet read the first email and me sending a second revised one, he/she won't notice the previous error 😁😁
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do if you notice a spelling error in the name of a recipient of your sent email?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »