Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Eduardo Valente
Eduardo Valente
Italy
Local time: 00:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Worldfast May 31, 2022

I like Worldfast as tool for Mac is the one I use.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Interface Jun 1, 2022

Nurettin Ceylan wrote:

It's cheap and the way it produces a simple XLF file as the bilingual output format and a project TM in no other than the TMX format is more than enough to regard it as one of the best in the market. I wish it had a bit more user friendly interface.

I agree, except for what you write about the interface. Okay, it’s idiosyncratic. But it’s consistent and … intuitive. Did I mention ‘flexible’?

What bothers you about the interface, if I may ask?

María José Domínguez Camba
María José Domínguez Camba  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Transit Jun 1, 2022

I prefer Star Transit. I just like working with it, and love the fact that you pay for it once and then all updates are included forever.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
I used to be a fan Jun 1, 2022

María José Domínguez Camba wrote:

I prefer Star Transit. I just like working with it, and love the fact that you pay for it once and then all updates are included forever.

I was a fan of Transit for many years. But then the size of my termbase grew rapidly and Transit started crashing every n minutes. So I upgraded to CafeTran Espresso that uses plain text files. Life can be simple if you use the right tools.

Denis Danchenko

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Star Transit vs. Automotive Translations Jun 1, 2022

As I translate for Automotive mostly, I'm often asked to work with Transit.
To be honest, I've not been able to align my workflow with its logic well enough however hard I tried.
Sometimes it feels like getting under the hood of a German car - 'unnecessarily complicated'.

Dan Lucas

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Hi Jun 2, 2022

I always refrained from buying Transit because all I could get was a monthly/yearly subscription, and subscriptions I hate.
Where can you buy Transit once and for all?

[Edited at 2022-06-02 09:13 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Buying Transit NXT Jun 2, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Where can you buy Transit once and for all?

You can buy Transit here.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 10.38.11

I guess that you are aware of this filter of CafeTran Espresso?

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 10.39.35

The filter is very good, especially since it groups tags.

If you contact them for a quote, can you please report back what the current price is? My estimation: 2K € (depending on the filters you order).

[Edited at 2022-06-02 08:43 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:32
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Reassuringly (?) expensive... Jun 2, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
If you contact them for a quote, can you please report back what the current price is? My estimation: 2K € (depending on the filters you order).

I would also be interested in knowing this, but not in using Transit now that the only client I had that did use it has migrated to another system.

What the enthusiastic Transit user above failed to mention is the cost involved in acquiring a perpetual license - enough to buy the freelance version of Trados and about 10 years' worth of upgrades!

Dan

Wolfgang Schoene
Denis Danchenko

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I agree Jun 2, 2022

Dan Lucas wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

I would also be interested in knowing this, but not in using Transit now that the only client I had that did use it has migrated to another system.

What the enthusiastic Transit user above failed to mention is the cost involved in acquiring a perpetual license - enough to buy the freelance version of Trados and about 10 years' worth of upgrades!

Dan

I didn't expect it being so outrageously expensive.

[Edited at 2022-06-02 11:50 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Transit Jun 3, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

Dan

I didn't expect it being so outrageously expensive.

[Edited at 2022-06-02 11:50 GMT]

Anyway, I filled out the form for more information about the price of Transit NXT Professional+ which seems to be the only perpetual version available. Will report when/if I get the answer.

Hans Lenting

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Your preferred CAT is?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »