Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Do you understand songs and films in your source language(s)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paulo Melo
Paulo Melo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That is an interesting question Jan 8

If you mean the lyrics or the dialogues, yes, I understand the linguistic/contextual/cultural features most of the time, but I find it is often a little difficult to understand what is being sung or spoken, either because of the melody/pace etc. of the song or because of the quality of the sound. Delivery matters.

Christine Andersen
Zea_Mays

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:32
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I do not understand Norwegian and Swedish films Jan 8

While Christopher is more used to Swedish, I live in Denmark, and have the converse problem.

I watch quite a lot of Swedish television, but can really only understand it when there are Danish subtitles. The same applies to Norwegian. I simply cannot understand the news broadcasts, which are not subtitled. I have Swedish relatives, and practise listening to Swedish with them, but we occasionally resort to English just to be quite certain we understand each other! But at Christmas we
... See more
While Christopher is more used to Swedish, I live in Denmark, and have the converse problem.

I watch quite a lot of Swedish television, but can really only understand it when there are Danish subtitles. The same applies to Norwegian. I simply cannot understand the news broadcasts, which are not subtitled. I have Swedish relatives, and practise listening to Swedish with them, but we occasionally resort to English just to be quite certain we understand each other! But at Christmas we happily sing each other´s songs around the Christmas tree, with song books so we can read the text.

In writing, Norwegian bokmål is close to written Danish, while Swedish is slightly different. I can read both fluently, with reservations for false friends and idiomatic expressions which I have to check up separately. So in fact I can translate from Swedish and Norwegian, but don´t ask me to speak the languages!
If I read slowly, I ´hear´ Norwegian text more or less as Danish, while Swedish sometimes ´sounds´ more like German in my head. (Apologies to both Swedes and Germans!)

I actually understand German (Hochdeutsch) better if I have to manage without subtitles, but I only catch all the jokes and subtleties with the subtitles, especially where dialects are spoken.

[Edited at 2024-01-08 13:51 GMT]
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
German to English
+ ...
Character-based languages Jan 8

Samuel Murray wrote:

To me, spoken language and written language are not separable. You can't have written language without hearing something in your brain while reading or writing it. And surely you would not be hearing something else than what native speakers of that language would normally say anyway, right? I mean, when I read English, I hear the English, and I hear it IN ENGLISH. The English that I hear when I write or read English doesn't sound like Dutch or German or Russian or Japanese... it sounds English. Isn't it like this for all translators? Are there really translators (of modern languages) who can only read a language, but not understand it when they hear it?

I understand that some students of ancient languages may not be able to speak it even though they are able to "read" it and do "translation exercises" with a dictionary in hand, but that's something different. Those people are not translators.

At the very least, this neglects character-based languages, which are not orthographically phonemic – the written language does not indicate the pronunciation. There are thousands of Japanese kanji I know the meaning but not pronunciation of, essentially because I only translate and do not interpret.

Zea_Mays
Dan Lucas
Christopher Schröder
Susanna Martoni
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

patransword
patransword
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I must be a bad translator Jan 8

Spanish, Catalan and German - yes, more or less. However, some songs are impenetrable. I often find that lyrics I've been singing for years are completely wrong after reading the lyrics. Shakira comes to mind.

My Russian is rather rusty after a long period of dormancy, but I still translate from it now and again.

My spoken French is rather clumsy and I've been told I sound as if I'm a Spanish speaker. However, I translate from French regularly and enjoy reading French n
... See more
Spanish, Catalan and German - yes, more or less. However, some songs are impenetrable. I often find that lyrics I've been singing for years are completely wrong after reading the lyrics. Shakira comes to mind.

My Russian is rather rusty after a long period of dormancy, but I still translate from it now and again.

My spoken French is rather clumsy and I've been told I sound as if I'm a Spanish speaker. However, I translate from French regularly and enjoy reading French novels and magazines, have done since I was 11 or so.
Collapse

Gerard Barry

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
no need to know pronunciation for translators Jan 8

Becca Resnik wrote:
There are thousands of Japanese kanji I know the meaning but not pronunciation of, essentially because I only translate and do not interpret.

Exactly.
I think you can translate any language without knowing how the words are pronounced.
Of course this is rarely the case, but it is basically realistic.

Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Angie Garbarino

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Obviously? Jan 8

Tom in London wrote:

"Do you understand songs and films in your source language(s)?"

Obviously yes. I would expect all translators to give the same answer.

Why? Several of us have already said we don't.

Becca Resnik
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Gerard Barry

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Samuel Jan 8

Samuel Murray wrote:
I do not regard Danish as an "ancient language", though. I meant really, really ancient languages, like the ones that are no longer spoken.

OK, but I don't see any real difference between me translating Danish and me translating Latin, or get why you think people who translate hieroglyphs etc are not translators.

Becca Resnik
Zea_Mays

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 12:32
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suspicious results Jan 9

I do not believe at all the results of this survey so far. Sometimes we do not even completely understand songs and films in our own language.

Yes, completely. 44.2%
Yes, mostly. 40.0%
Yes, partly. 11.1%
No, not really. 3.1%
Other N/A 1.7%
Total votes: 360

Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
patransword
Rachel Waddington
MollyRose

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:32
Greek to English
Incompletely Jan 9

I really envy those people who answered that they understand songs and films "completely" in their source language.

I'm a well-educated native English speaker of pensionable age and I don't "completely" understand all songs and films I hear in my target language, English. The same applies to my source language, Greek.

I've seen English-language movies where I needed to read subtitles in order to make sense of what was going on. As for songs, sometimes it's hard e
... See more
I really envy those people who answered that they understand songs and films "completely" in their source language.

I'm a well-educated native English speaker of pensionable age and I don't "completely" understand all songs and films I hear in my target language, English. The same applies to my source language, Greek.

I've seen English-language movies where I needed to read subtitles in order to make sense of what was going on. As for songs, sometimes it's hard enough to figure out what the words are, let alone what they mean when put together. Did Hendrix really sing "Excuse Me While I Kiss The Sky", or "Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy".

So well done all you people (currently 43.5% of answerers) who understand everything they hear "completely".
Collapse

Becca Resnik
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
Alex Lichanow
patransword
Rachel Waddington

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:32
English to Turkish
No Jan 9

It took me more than 3 watches with the subtitles on to fully understand and appreciate Deadwood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ1Em1rrUTE
I also find it difficult to understand "Dutch/German/European English", which accounts for about 60% of the stuff I receive for translation.

P.L.F. Persio

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
yes and no Jan 9

I understand French and Spanish without problems, for English it depends.

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Here's a good reason to learn Italian Jan 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxIS1T8NQ6s

[Strofa 1]
Senza fine
Tu trascini la nostra vita
Senza un attimo di respiro
Per sognare
Per potere ricordare
Quel che abbiamo già vissuto

[Ritornello]
Senza fine
Tu sei un attimo senza fine
Non hai ieri
Non hai domani
Tutto è ormai nelle tue mani
Mani
... See more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxIS1T8NQ6s

[Strofa 1]
Senza fine
Tu trascini la nostra vita
Senza un attimo di respiro
Per sognare
Per potere ricordare
Quel che abbiamo già vissuto

[Ritornello]
Senza fine
Non hai ieri
Non hai domani
Mani grandi
Mani senza fine

[Strofa 2]
Non m'importa della luna
Non m'importa delle stelle
Tu per me sei luna e stelle
Tu per me sei sole e cielo
Tu per me sei tutto quanto
Tutto quanto voglio avere

[Ritornello]
Senza fine
Non hai ieri
Non hai domani
Mani grandi
Mani senza fine

[Strofa 2]
Non m'importa della luna
Non m'importa delle stelle
Tu per me sei luna e stelle
Tu per me sei sole e cielo
Tu per me sei tutto quanto
Tutto quanto voglio avere

[Outro]
Senza fine
La la la la la la, la la la...

[Edited at 2024-01-09 08:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-01-09 08:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-01-09 09:50 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Completely Jan 9

Philip Lees wrote:

I suppose we mean different things by "completely". I, for one, assumed that the question relates only to content that is audible. I did not count speech or songtext that is inaudible. If the reason I don't understand a character who is mumbling is precisely BECAUSE he is mumbling, and not because of my level of skill in that language, then that don't count in my book. I interpreted "completely" in the question to mean "just as well as a native speaker".

Christine Andersen

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why we all need subtitles when watching TV Jan 9

https://www.upworthy.com/subtitles-for-watching-tv-rp4

https://today.yougov.com/entertainment/articles/45987-american-adults-under-30-watching-tv-subtitles

[Edited at 2024-01-09 15:54 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I don't care Jan 9

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

"Do you understand songs and films in your source language(s)?"

Obviously yes. I would expect all translators to give the same answer.

Why? Several of us have already said we don't.

I don't care what "several of 'you'" have already said. Are you an organised cult?

PS

I'm beginning to think that previous warnings may need to be reiterated

[Edited at 2024-01-09 18:42 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you understand songs and films in your source language(s)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »