Poll: What would be your main piece of advice to an unexperienced translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 17

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What would be your main piece of advice to an unexperienced translator?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 17

In this day and age, choose another profession!

Jennifer Levey
writeaway
Jorge Payan
Kevin Fulton
Rachel Waddington
Michele Fauble
Matthias Brombach

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 22:32
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Plan B Jul 17

Always have a plan B.

Jorge Payan
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
B&B FinTrans
Zea_Mays
Dan Lucas
Philippe Etienne

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Plan Z, for when all else fails Jul 17

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

In this day and age, choose another profession!

Lingua 5B wrote:

Always have a plan B.

An inexperienced translator would be well-advised to choose another profession, and consider adopting translation as their 'plan B'.
An unexperienced translator would do better to proof-read their output before hitting 'send' on a public forum, choose another profession, make sure they have a plan B, plan C, plan D ... and then pencil in 'translation' as their 'plan Z'.

Philip Lees
Zea_Mays
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Bora Taşdemir
Anne Maclennan
Angie Garbarino

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:32
English to Turkish
Inexperienced/unexperienced Jul 18

The beauty of translation is that anybody (talking about people in Turkey, don't know if that's the case in other non-English speaking countries) who's watched a few Netflix series with English subtitles think they can translate from English as well as the next man when all they need is a computer with an internet connection. What's more, they can start their career at any time of their lives (you can't be a surgeon or a lawyer or a musician at 43, no?), is there any other profession that allows... See more
The beauty of translation is that anybody (talking about people in Turkey, don't know if that's the case in other non-English speaking countries) who's watched a few Netflix series with English subtitles think they can translate from English as well as the next man when all they need is a computer with an internet connection. What's more, they can start their career at any time of their lives (you can't be a surgeon or a lawyer or a musician at 43, no?), is there any other profession that allows you to start from scratch at the tender age of 58, from the comfort of your home?
My main piece of advice to these folk is to go love themselves.
Collapse

Peter Simon
Elena Mordenti
Iulia Parvu

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Other Jul 18

Nowadays this is no longer a profitable profession, if you studied and love languages, you should try another profession that allows you to exploit your studies

Gleyse
Kay Denney
Rachel Waddington
Susanna Martoni
Thayenga
Jorge Payan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Experience counts for very little Jul 18

Most experienced translators are still crap translators.

But otherwise, yeah, find something else.

Jorge Payan
Anton Konashenok

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:32
English to Italian
All of them Jul 18

Christopher Schröder

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Nicholas Boline
Nicholas Boline  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:32
Member (2023)
Spanish to English
Network, Online Presence, and Interpreting Jul 18

I don't agree that the industry is dead; however, the people with power in the industry (i.e. the large corporate agencies and their lackeys in organizations such as the ATA) are unilaterlly pushing ahead with anti-worker technologies like AI, which steals our work without our permission and then uses the data to drive down our wages. Since our labor is unorganized, we have little recourse to stop them from doing anything they'd like. But it won't take long before the limitations of these techno... See more
I don't agree that the industry is dead; however, the people with power in the industry (i.e. the large corporate agencies and their lackeys in organizations such as the ATA) are unilaterlly pushing ahead with anti-worker technologies like AI, which steals our work without our permission and then uses the data to drive down our wages. Since our labor is unorganized, we have little recourse to stop them from doing anything they'd like. But it won't take long before the limitations of these technologies are impossible to ignore and the work comes back to humans. But in the meantime, it seems that some users of translation are willing to accept a certain decrease in quality in order to keep costs down, I would argue because of the falling rate of profit in general and other macroeconomic factors. But it's certainly not the case that it's impossible to make a living.

As somebody who has only been in the industry for a few years years as both a translator and interpreter, I have to say there are two key factors in the success I've had: 1) Joining every professional organization that pertains to you and networking aggressively in all of them and 2) Being very easy to find online and having a high-quality presence on LinkedIn and yes, to some extent, ProZ. Every single paid job I've ever gotten in this industry is directly attributable to one of these two items. I still haven't gotten my own professional website, but I'm told by my colleagues that that is also important.
Collapse

Edith van der Have
Christopher Schröder
tabor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What would be your main piece of advice to an unexperienced translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »