Can I indicate several countries of residence ?
Thread poster: Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Local time: 16:55
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Jun 23, 2009

Hello,

I live between Germany and France and have a regular address in both countries.

My professionnal activity is registered in Germany, but I am French and I spend 50 % of my time in France (I think Proz Staff can check that point by looking at my URL)

Is it possible in my profile to indicate 2 different addresses in 2 different countries ?

Thanks in advance!

Helen Matthews
Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
I was told we couldn't... Jun 23, 2009

Hi,

I have a similar situation, spending a lot of time in a couple of different countries and asked the staff the same question a few months ago. The answer was no, but evidently I'm not the only one in this situation then.... any chance of a change of heart?

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Same here... Jun 23, 2009

but 2 different states throughout the year...

Emma Hradecka (X)
Emma Hradecka (X)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Same here, too Jun 23, 2009

I will be in the same situation from October 2009...

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:55
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
and again...same here... Jun 24, 2009

and every time I move I have to change all my details...it would be much easier if we could put both in.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Can anyone be in two geographical locations at once? Jun 24, 2009

We are free to change the country we list on our profile page whenever we wish. I don't understand why that isn't acceptable. After all, only someone literally straddling a border can be in two countries at the same time (I've had the front seat of my car in Belgium and the rear seat in France when I was doing a U-turn on a country road......).
And of course there are a few towns with borders running through them. But even then, one usually lives on one side or the other......
... See more
We are free to change the country we list on our profile page whenever we wish. I don't understand why that isn't acceptable. After all, only someone literally straddling a border can be in two countries at the same time (I've had the front seat of my car in Belgium and the rear seat in France when I was doing a U-turn on a country road......).
And of course there are a few towns with borders running through them. But even then, one usually lives on one side or the other......
Collapse

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no Jun 24, 2009

writeaway wrote:
one usually lives on one side or the other......

No, this is not true for everyone.
Many people part their lives pretty equally between 2 countries, and this applies to many members here on Proz.

And this is exactly my point. My professional activity is registered in Germany, so my official address is in Germany. But concretely, I spend half of my time at my brother's in France.

Some outsourcers explicitly look for translators who "currently live in **country**".
They certainly look for translators living in a precise country to make sure they are able to deliver a fluent translation.

I do live in France AND in Germany. If they were looking for translators "who are professionnaly based in **country**", there would be nothing to debate, because one is most generally fiscally registered in one single country (I actually only assume that).

But many of us do spend a great part of our time in another country.

Anyway, I think all previous posts have answered my question, so thanks to all

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
Change your location to the country you are in. Jun 24, 2009

Elodie Bonnafous wrote:

writeaway wrote:
one usually lives on one side or the other......

No, this is not true for everyone.
Many people part their lives pretty equally between 2 countries, and this applies to many members here on Proz.

And this is exactly my point. My professional activity is registered in Germany, so my official address is in Germany. But concretely, I spend half of my time at my brother's in France.

Some outsourcers explicitly look for translators who "currently live in **country**".
They certainly look for translators living in a precise country to make sure they are able to deliver a fluent translation.

I do live in France AND in Germany. If they were looking for translators "who are professionnaly based in **country**", there would be nothing to debate, because one is most generally fiscally registered in one single country (I actually only assume that).

But many of us do spend a great part of our time in another country.

Anyway, I think all previous posts have answered my question, so thanks to all

I still maintain it's impossible to be in Germany and France at the exact same time. You are either in France or you are in Germany. In a matter of seconds, you can update the location data on your profile page. As often as you wish afaik.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:55
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
>50% of the time Aug 1, 2009

In some countries, you can only claim to be a resident if you spend more than 50% of the year (181 days out of 360 consecutive days, in Canada at least) within the country. I believe most countries are the same, because the rights/obligations of a resident only kick in under these well defined conditions. In which case, you couldn't be a resident of more than one country in a given year.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
True Aug 1, 2009

writeaway wrote:

I still maintain it's impossible to be in Germany and France at the exact same time. You are either in France or you are in Germany. In a matter of seconds, you can update the location data on your profile page. As often as you wish afaik.

In fact, some people on this site even manage to end up on uninhabited islands ... go figure

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
Or on densely populated islands Aug 1, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

writeaway wrote:

In fact, some people on this site even manage to end up on uninhabited islands ... go figure

One can be 'virtually' anywhere.......

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yea, and then they end up again in densely populated countries Aug 1, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

With Proz, all this is possible

[Bearbeitet am 2009-08-01 20:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I indicate several countries of residence ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »