Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:21
English to French
Sep 26, 2014

Hello,

When I post a comment in an existing thread, I would like to be able to check an option "be notified by email of new posts in this thread" on the posting form itself, and then click on the submit button to post my comment. Right now one needs to post, and then find the form to subscribe to notifications, which is needlessly complicated.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:21
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Easy Sep 26, 2014

It's easy. Just look to the right-hand side of this post and you'll see "e-mail tracking". By clicking on it you will receive notifications of any new posts in the thread. When you no longer want to see them, unclick it.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Have you read Sep 26, 2014

the second sentence of my post?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No need to find a form Sep 26, 2014

Jacques DP wrote:

Hello,

Right now one needs to post, and then find the form to subscribe to notifications, which is needlessly complicated.

You don't need to post first. Just check the box to the right where it says

"Email tracking"
"This topic [ ] All posts"

That will give you e-mail updates to the current topic.

You don't need to find any form. I'm not sure what it is you're doing, actually.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
PS Sep 26, 2014

What is confusing is that RSS tracking is upper left, and e-mail tracking is mid right, a poor design in my opinion. It took me a while to figure out. I've never really taken to RSS tracking, as you have to navigate to somewhere to see updates, and if I don't see updates in my incoming e-mail, I simply forget about the RSS thing.

Tracking to be notified about new topics created in a forum group is elsewhere, but that doesn't give you notifications for each later comment.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Sep 26, 2014

Jacques DP wrote:

the second sentence of my post?

No.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
OK... Sep 26, 2014

Tom: That's why your comment was irrelevant to my suggestion. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Thomas: The box you refer to, together with the "Saves changes" button, is technically known as a form. Hopefully you see what I meant now. In any case I think my suggestion should be understandable by the staff, to which it was addressed.

[Edited at 2014-09-26 12:48 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It could be improved Sep 26, 2014

I've suggested several times that tracking should be either the default when you post or there should be a "submit & track" button next to the "submit" button.

OK, it isn't that onerous but it is another cycle, and it can be very annoying when you post from a smartphone (as now).

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Sep 26, 2014

Sheila: exactly

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
I still don't understand your problem Sep 26, 2014

Jacques DP wrote:
Right now one needs to post, and then find the form to subscribe to notifications, which is needlessly complicated.

The box to tick - or form if you prefer - is right there in the right side of the screen, and you need neither post first nor 'then find the form'. This is as it is on a laptop.

However, if you're using a smartphone or tablet, I would have no idea what it looks like. In that case, it would have been helpful for the general understanding to mention what sort of device you are using. I don't see any problem on a laptop or desktop screen.

But I agree that it would have been helpful if e-mail or RSS tracking could be chosen near the reply form. It shouldn't a major editing task to move the tracking forms/boxes.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
This is it Sep 26, 2014

Thomas:

This is it, what you said at the end of your comment.

I know one doesn't need to post first in order to subscribe to tracking emails. But what often happens is that one wants to subscribe when one posts in the thread, in order to track the discussion in which one participates. Therefore it would be nice to be able to select a tracking check box when one posts, within the posting form. The separate email tracking form could stay, in order to unsubscribe, or to su
... See more
Thomas:

This is it, what you said at the end of your comment.

I know one doesn't need to post first in order to subscribe to tracking emails. But what often happens is that one wants to subscribe when one posts in the thread, in order to track the discussion in which one participates. Therefore it would be nice to be able to select a tracking check box when one posts, within the posting form. The separate email tracking form could stay, in order to unsubscribe, or to subscribe without posting.

Actually I can see one objection to my suggestion. If people can subscribe in the posting form, then they still need to locate the email tracking form to unsubscribe, which might lead to people not knowing how to unsubscribe and bothering support about it. Right now, since they need to find that form to subscribe in the first place, they will know where to go to unsubscribe... Maybe some "Unsubscribe to email notifications for this topic" direct link could be included in the notification emails.
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestion Sep 27, 2014

This was moved by staff to technical support but it should actually go to Suggestions. I don't need technical support on this issue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subscribing to thread update notification on the comment form

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »