Thread poster: jmleger
jmleger
jmleger  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:22
English to French
+ ...
Nov 5, 2018

Hi, All:

It seems somebody has figured out a way of making money off translators by offering to propagate their cv's to translation companies. Everyday we get nuisance loads of unrequested resumes, which we send to trash on the spot. If you know anyone who pays somebody for this type of services, please tell them that they are wasting their time and money. We never recruit that way, and I doubt many agencies do. Apparently they use the Proz database to direct these mass mailings. I
... See more
Hi, All:

It seems somebody has figured out a way of making money off translators by offering to propagate their cv's to translation companies. Everyday we get nuisance loads of unrequested resumes, which we send to trash on the spot. If you know anyone who pays somebody for this type of services, please tell them that they are wasting their time and money. We never recruit that way, and I doubt many agencies do. Apparently they use the Proz database to direct these mass mailings. I wonder if there is a way to put an end to this? I hate to think people are getting ripped off.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:22
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Maybe Nov 5, 2018

Yes, these unsolicited resumes are a nuisance, not only for agencies but also for freelancers. Whenever I receive unsolicited emails or references from strangers, they go straight to "File 13", with the trash being emptied at least once a day.

Perhaps if you add a statement to your profile here, and wherever else you might be present, stating that you will not accept unsolicited service offers, nor that you will bother to reply to any of them, then at least people are submitting the
... See more
Yes, these unsolicited resumes are a nuisance, not only for agencies but also for freelancers. Whenever I receive unsolicited emails or references from strangers, they go straight to "File 13", with the trash being emptied at least once a day.

Perhaps if you add a statement to your profile here, and wherever else you might be present, stating that you will not accept unsolicited service offers, nor that you will bother to reply to any of them, then at least people are submitting them at their own risk, so to speak. Add a note that whoever offers the "service" of propagating is only ripping them off because reality speaks a different language.

If that doesn't help at all (I'm afraid it won't), then the delete-key is your (our) only way out.
Collapse

Ricki Farn

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
a 404 Not Found error from your website is perfect... Nov 5, 2018

...to stop unsolicited resumes, but it may stop any kind of business IMHO

Hi Jean Marie
I was tempted to make our old collaboration green again, but I think I'll don't send an(other) unsolicited email

cheers

[Edited at 2018-11-06 13:14 GMT]

Baran Keki

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Companies doing this? Nov 6, 2018

Are you saying you've been receiving translators' résumés from email addresses that belong to some company instead of the résumé owners? O_o

[Edited at 2018-11-06 14:12 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
@Mirko Nov 6, 2018

A few months ago I recall having received an e-mail on this. The "service" being offered involved paying X per month for the person to send your CV to loads of agencies worldwide. I actually replied saying that the last thing I would want was for someone else to:
- decide which agencies I was interested in
- irritate agencies I might be interested by sending my CV, as most agencies required more than a mailshot CV anyway.

I added that it would probably drive the agenci
... See more
A few months ago I recall having received an e-mail on this. The "service" being offered involved paying X per month for the person to send your CV to loads of agencies worldwide. I actually replied saying that the last thing I would want was for someone else to:
- decide which agencies I was interested in
- irritate agencies I might be interested by sending my CV, as most agencies required more than a mailshot CV anyway.

I added that it would probably drive the agencies crazy and I did not want to be associated with that in any way.

I'd be happier to pay someone to prevent him from doing that!
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Iris Schmerda

Axelle H.
Axelle H.  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Received today : Nov 6, 2018

" Dear Translator,

If you buy 2 years of membership during November 5, 2018 to December 15, 2018 (inclusive), you will be offered free of charge the service of mailing your CV / service offer to 5,400+ translation agencies registered with us (the service usually costs $150):"

(in my trash box)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unsolicited services offers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »