صفحات الموضوع:   [1 2] >
Possibility of "Ignore list"/user filter for forums?
ناشر الموضوع: Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
إيطاليا
Local time: 00:47
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
Feb 18, 2010

Although I find browsing the forums highly useful and informative, unfortunately there is a certain user whose constant negativity frankly spoils my enjoyment of the forums. I do not wish to seem narrow-minded or intolerant, and in an ideal world I would love to get on with everyone, but sadly it's just not possible.

Would it be possible to block out posts by certain members via a setting on the Dashboard? Or is it already possible?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
أوكرانيا
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
stronger than all Feb 18, 2010

Hi Fiona,

Everything you like very much or disdain dearly is but your weakness. Learn and get rid of weak features. Do feel pity to those poor mischievous posters they just want attention and recognition (may be even yours?;) How can one be annoyed with a donkey because it's just a donkey?

Sometimes it may get really too far for any tolerance, but if you learn to 'ignore' - or even better - to change what you don't like then nothing could spoil your enjoyment. Anyway yo
... See more
Hi Fiona,

Everything you like very much or disdain dearly is but your weakness. Learn and get rid of weak features. Do feel pity to those poor mischievous posters they just want attention and recognition (may be even yours?;) How can one be annoyed with a donkey because it's just a donkey?

Sometimes it may get really too far for any tolerance, but if you learn to 'ignore' - or even better - to change what you don't like then nothing could spoil your enjoyment. Anyway you can always 'report' offensive posts - don't be too shy.

Cheers;)
Collapse

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 15:47
عضو (2002)
مجري إلى أنجليزي
+ ...

مشرف
Bravo! Feb 19, 2010

DZiW wrote:

Sometimes it may get really too far for any tolerance, but if you learn to 'ignore' - or even better - to change what you don't like then nothing could spoil your enjoyment. Anyway you can always 'report' offensive posts - don't be too shy.

Cheers;)

Well put! I often wish I was this enlightened...

Tokyo_Moscow
Tokyo_Moscow  Identity Verified
اليابان
Local time: 07:47
ياباني إلى روسي
+ ...
I agree completely Feb 19, 2010

Fiona, I understand what you mean. I often feel the same at forums here and can second every sentence of yours. As you mentioned, forums could be very informative and helpful, but some users would spoil your peaceful and calm environment, and sometimes even attack or hurt others without even noticing that. That is sad and I personally see no reasons to just letting it be that way, neither I stand for *getting stronger* by passively accepting unacceptable behavior. I was going to ask similar ques... See more
Fiona, I understand what you mean. I often feel the same at forums here and can second every sentence of yours. As you mentioned, forums could be very informative and helpful, but some users would spoil your peaceful and calm environment, and sometimes even attack or hurt others without even noticing that. That is sad and I personally see no reasons to just letting it be that way, neither I stand for *getting stronger* by passively accepting unacceptable behavior. I was going to ask similar question to site administration, how to add filters to ignore (not seeing) some users postings in the useful discussions.
One day I realized that I have no time for negativity of others anymore. If others want to get stronger or get experience by fighting, ignoring or opposing, there plenty of other non-linguistic forums for that I suppose.
Well, let's see what site administration replies.
Have a good day!
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
الهند
Local time: 04:17
أنجليزي إلى هندي
+ ...
Another suggestion- inform the poster Feb 19, 2010

Hi,
I feel that whatsoever others are posting, it is their personal matter, however one can always raise voice and take action against negativity.
I suggest you to email such poster/s mentioning, that 'you did not like negativity or certain point' mentioned in his/her forum post. May be such an email of yours change his/her mind and persuade him/her to remain positive. That may help the environment also to remain positive.

[Edited at 2010-02-19 06:46 GMT]

Michael Zapuskalov
Michael Zapuskalov  Identity Verified
الاتحاد الروسي
Local time: 03:47
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
agreed Feb 19, 2010

DZiW wrote:
Everything you like very much or disdain dearly is but your weakness.

...and excellent opportunity to resolve your problem(s).

Forgive me for repetition, but if it doesn't coincide with the site rules then you may report and it will be deleted. If it coincides but you still don't like it, then there are two variants (tertium non datur): the rules have to be improved or there is something with you (idiosyncrasy?).

P.S. Filtering certain posters can be very funny. Others would read the ignored post, answer it and you will have to guess what's this all about.

P.P.S. try using AdBlock and AdBlock+ (esp. in Firefox). At least certain names and userpics are easily deletable on every page.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
اليابان
Local time: 07:47
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى ياباني
+ ...
With Tokyo_Moscow Feb 19, 2010

Tokyo_Moscow wrote:

Fiona, I understand what you mean. I often feel the same at forums here and can second every sentence of yours. As you mentioned, forums could be very informative and helpful, but some users would spoil your peaceful and calm environment, and sometimes even attack or hurt others without even noticing that. That is sad and I personally see no reasons to just letting it be that way, neither I stand for *getting stronger* by passively accepting unacceptable behavior. I was going to ask similar question to site administration, how to add filters to ignore (not seeing) some users postings in the useful discussions.
One day I realized that I have no time for negativity of others anymore. If others want to get stronger or get experience by fighting, ignoring or opposing, there plenty of other non-linguistic forums for that I suppose.
Well, let's see what site administration replies.
Have a good day!

I too, fully agree to what Tokyo_Moscow wrote above.

However, in my opinion, I think the matter is much more complicated, since it would be hard to tell which postings are unfavorable for someone to read. Even if I think somebody's post is offensive (without breaking site rules) or rude or unpleasant, maybe others who are reading the same post might take it in a different way. Suppose I replied to this forum saying something like "Stop complaining, and if you don't like it, then don't read it. Just drop it!". Someone reading my post might agree with me and repeat the same thing, "Yeah, just drop it" or someone might feel what's wrong with him? Is he having a bad day or what? or others might feel really offended, especially the topic starter who was looking for a good and constructive discussion.

And I support the idea of being able to filter certain postings on these forums.

Fiona Grace Peterson
إيطاليا
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
بادئ الموضوع
Ignore button - a simple solution Feb 19, 2010

DZiW wrote:
if you learn to 'ignore' - or even better - to change what you don't like then nothing could spoil your enjoyment.

But a donkey is a donkey, and I cannot change that. But I can choose to avoid them wherever possible...

Some people are just as they are, and arguing is pointless; this is why I think a filter would be a good idea, so I can simply hide the posts I do not wish to see. It is an option available on many Internet forums, but not on Proz, as far as I can gather.

We can already filter out cetain askers in KudoZ... why not on the forums as well?

[Edited at 2010-02-19 11:14 GMT]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:17
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
I understand Fiona's point, but... Feb 19, 2010

....from what I've seen, some of the most argumentative, annoying moaners are also highly qualified and knowledgeable translators with a lot of experiences and tips to share. If you filter them out, you will also not see their posts whenever they are giving good advice or providing useful tips. Also, if some posts are hidden, you may not be able to follow the argument in a thread, since even the people who might be annoying you are replying to the points made or the questions asked.

... See more
....from what I've seen, some of the most argumentative, annoying moaners are also highly qualified and knowledgeable translators with a lot of experiences and tips to share. If you filter them out, you will also not see their posts whenever they are giving good advice or providing useful tips. Also, if some posts are hidden, you may not be able to follow the argument in a thread, since even the people who might be annoying you are replying to the points made or the questions asked.

I think the reason this site has moderators is to take care of the kind of "filtering" you're talking about. Otherwise, I tend to agree with DZiW.
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
إيطاليا
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
بادئ الموضوع
There is a difference... Feb 19, 2010

... between moaning and constant arrogance and negativity. If the poster in question was breaking site rules, I would certainly not hesitate to report them to moderators; however they are not.

Surely if I want to filter out a certain poster, perhaps missing out on any knowledge they have to pass on, or risking that the thread in question becomes less comprehensible as a result, surely that is my prerogative (as a paying member of this site, I may add)?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
أوكرانيا
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
problem#1: How to ignore it? Feb 19, 2010

But I can choose to avoid them wherever possible...

Indeed. Fiona, 'to see a donkey', 'to talk about a donkey', and 'to avoid talking to a donkey' - is very different. Trust me)
and arguing is pointless

because __________? If you have already answered to a specific question to your best knowledge then if a donkey bray at you, don't bray at him. If you think it's pointless then just don't. Otherwise other people won't be able to tell the difference for sure...
I think a filter would be a good idea

Filtering 'bad' weather, 'bad' mood, 'bad' people, 'bad' words etc... ad infinitum. Isn't it a happy paradise? And how can you tell 'good' from 'bad' then? IMO it's like just locking oneself up. You choose.
We can already filter out certain askers in KudoZ...

I think KudoZ has to do more with professional qualities than humanity, that's why it should be able to 'ignore' some incompetent askers or peers. In everyday life even 'good' people can be so excited that they might offend you without understanding it. If they are 'good' enough then tell them you feel hurt - they will feel sorry (unless they deliberately said it to offend you). When you know 'the purpose of utterance' then you know who's *really* talking.

Shortly, it's about Emotional intelligence and interaction of all participants, so don't focus on 'bad' things and traits only. Think positive.
As for me, I'm still learning to take 'bad' things as they are and accept 'bad' people as mere 'naughty children'. I like children, so it's pretty easy for me.

Cheers;)

[Edited at 2010-02-19 12:08 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
ألماني إلى إسباني
+ ...
Possibility of "Ignore list"/user filter for forums?" Feb 19, 2010

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

I think the reason this site has moderators is to take care of the kind of "filtering" you're talking about. Otherwise, I tend to agree with DZiW.

After forteen years or more I still remember once I was angered, I answered in a bad manner to my father and argued this was due to my strong character. My father answered me with absolute fortitude calmness: No, this is not your character. This is your absence of character. Mature persons mantain his character under control. I have never forgotten.

Balanced persons assume of equal way positive as negative attitudes. There are two faces of the same currency, world is not a rose color one and it is necessary to be able to accept good things as like bad things. If we were only accepting the good and positive things, we will finish without maturing nor seeing the differences. Of course, others may have a different way of thinking.

@ Dziw, Fiona: And please, have some respect for donkeys. They are sometimes far more intelligent as some people may believe.

[Editado a las 2010-02-19 12:23 GMT]

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
أسبانيا
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
the mind boggles Feb 19, 2010

So the OP makes a suggestion and gets lectured on emotional intelligence, weakness and balance? Wow. No wonder she wants an ignore button.

I have actually started skipping full threads if I open them up and see them dominated by certain people, so I can understand Fiona's point of view.

Fiona Grace Peterson
إيطاليا
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
بادئ الموضوع
Thank you Cindy! Feb 19, 2010

Finally, someone who understands where I am coming from.

And Pablo: actually I'm vegan, and I think I probably have more respect for donkeys than many people here.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
ألماني إلى إسباني
+ ...
Possibility of "Ignore list"/user filter for forums?" Feb 19, 2010

Fiona Peterson wrote:

Finally, someone who understands where I am coming from.

And Pablo: actually I'm vegan, and I think I probably have more respect for donkeys than many people here.

Good to hear and a wise decision
Have a nice day.

صفحات الموضوع:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possibility of "Ignore list"/user filter for forums?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »