Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]
How to hide usage of machine translation in Trados Studio 2009.
Thread poster: europeanPRO
Remy van Tol
Remy van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
I think NMT enhances translations Nov 19, 2021

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Chris S wrote:
If it’s just a harmless tool and the end-product is sound, why not be upfront about it and let the results speak for themselves?

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but to me machine translation is not a harmless tool, since it may influence the quality of my translations.

Actually, MT can help you improve the quality, especially with translations that have long paragraphs and many numbers. You are less likely to err. The quality of DeepL is in particular good, sometimes amazing. It helps to improve consistency as well.

Companies have a 'no machine translation' policy because they don't understand the language, so they assume NMT to stand for 'bad quality' even though translators edit the segments to make the translation sound. Still, NMT remains visible, despite the fact the translation is different from the original NMT result. That's bad behavior. In fact, when you go back to an NMT segment, you can simply apply the newly TM entry to that segment, and NMT disappears.

So, I would suggest Trados to update the program to make sure the NMT status changes the moment an NMT segment is edited.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:00
English
NMT icon changes the moment you edit it. Nov 19, 2021

Remy van Tol wrote:
So, I would suggest Trados to update the program to make sure the NMT status changes the moment an NMT segment is edited.

It does.
Regards
Paul.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:00
English to Russian
Trados Batch Anonymizer Nov 19, 2021

Remy van Tol wrote:
This is exactly how the program behaves now:
2021-11-19_193712
Probably you suggest that NMT status vanishes completely. But you should keep in mind that it can be a desired behavior for you and undesirable for others. If you mean hide by saying change, you can use this Trados Batch Anonymizer plugin. Just run it from Batch Tasks and check the box. That's it.
2021-11-19_202401

Jorge Payan
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You seem to forget confidentiality Nov 19, 2021

Remy van Tol wrote:
Actually, MT can help you improve the quality, especially with translations that have long paragraphs and many numbers. You are less likely to err. The quality of DeepL is in particular good, sometimes amazing. It helps to improve consistency as well.

Companies have a 'no machine translation' policy because they don't understand the language, so they assume NMT to stand for 'bad quality' even though translators edit the segments to make the translation sound. Still, NMT remains visible, despite the fact the translation is different from the original NMT result. That's bad behavior. In fact, when you go back to an NMT segment, you can simply apply the newly TM entry to that segment, and NMT disappears.

It is not quite as simple as that. What they fear is that confidential information will be saved on a machine translation platform so that third parties will have access to the information. as far as I know, the quality has not been an issue, at least not with the agencies I am working for. So I doubt rws-moravia/SDL would want to change the behaviour of machine translated segments.

Claudia Marino

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Example of using local OPUS CAT Nov 20, 2021

Roy Oestensen wrote:

It is not quite as simple as that. What they fear is that confidential information will be saved on a machine translation platform so that third parties will have access to the information. as far as I know, the quality has not been an issue, at least not with the agencies I am working for..

OPUS CAT offers 16 NMT models for translating to Danish. For free, for translation in your PC. Data do not leave your home. Here is result:

What they fear is that confidential information will be saved on a machine translation platform so that third parties will have access to the information. as far as I know, the quality has not been an issue, at least not with the agencies I am working for.

Det, de frygter, er, at fortrolige oplysninger vil blive gemt på en maskinoversættelsesplatform, så tredjeparter får adgang til oplysningerne. Så vidt jeg ved, har kvaliteten ikke været et problem, i hvert fald ikke med de agenturer, jeg arbejder for.
==
There is wrong model for Interlingua (file tuned from Esperanto), so my peer fine-tuned Catalan model. There are a few EN-IA data for generating good model. Here is the result:

II non es tanto simple como iste cosas que illes habeva essite salvate a un station de replication de turques, e que le tertie partes debe habeva accedite a iste information. Quando io sape, le qualitate non ha essite un problema, al minus non con le appations io esse. Io de facte rw-mo-mo-mara/SDLDL.

Milan

[Edited at 2021-11-20 09:05 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to hide usage of machine translation in Trados Studio 2009.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »