Thread poster: Alex Lago
Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 10, 2011

I was just wondering if anyone else out there is also frustrated with Wordfast Pro's speed, I mean the speed at which it moves from one segment to another or when you try to join segments, or worse yet when you have a translation with lots of segments with just numbers in them, waiting for the program to move from one segment to another is eternal.

I have a Dell Inspiron M5010 with with an AMD Phenom II Quad-Core processor @ 1600 Mhz and 4 GB RAM, so I don't think its a hardware pro
... See more
I was just wondering if anyone else out there is also frustrated with Wordfast Pro's speed, I mean the speed at which it moves from one segment to another or when you try to join segments, or worse yet when you have a translation with lots of segments with just numbers in them, waiting for the program to move from one segment to another is eternal.

I have a Dell Inspiron M5010 with with an AMD Phenom II Quad-Core processor @ 1600 Mhz and 4 GB RAM, so I don't think its a hardware problem

I have Wordfast set up with 1024 MB, I can't set it up with 1470 MB because when I do Wordfast refuses to start and I have to start tweeking the wordfast.ini file to get it back to 1024. So I am practically giving the program its maximum RAM.

And still moving from segment to segment can be eternal, its really frustrating having to slow down your work rythm because of this.

If anyone else has the same problem and there are enough of us, we might get Wordfast to do something about it.
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
eternal? May 10, 2011

That is, how long?

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eternal = never ending May 10, 2011

I fail to see the relevance of your comment but eternal means without beginning or end, lasting forever, always existing, etc., in this case I meant to say extremely slow, by extremely slow,

To give you a more accurate reference I have actually timed the time it takes and in some of the worse cases it is between 2 and 3 seconds, which agreed is not eternal and might not sound like much but if you have a job with 6000 segments and each segment takes 2 seconds to load you have 12000
... See more
I fail to see the relevance of your comment but eternal means without beginning or end, lasting forever, always existing, etc., in this case I meant to say extremely slow, by extremely slow,

To give you a more accurate reference I have actually timed the time it takes and in some of the worse cases it is between 2 and 3 seconds, which agreed is not eternal and might not sound like much but if you have a job with 6000 segments and each segment takes 2 seconds to load you have 12000 seconds just loading segments not translating, waiting for the program, even at 1 second you have 6000 seconds. 6000 seconds = 100 minutes.

I just finished a very large job with lots of numbers there were over 20000 segments and more than 5000 segments were just numbers no text and it took me about 17 hours to finish, I am convinced that well over 1 hour was waiting time between segments loading.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 05:35
English to Arabic
Suggestions May 10, 2011

Dear Alex,

What is your operating system - this is a very important question in relation to the Memory Preferences.

Please try the following procures:

1- Work in the Text View as it is usually faster. (Just try it!)
2- Quit all the programs in the background while you are using Wordfast Pro. (very important)
3- Try to allocate more RAM for Wordfast Pro application itself.
4- Ask your
... See more
Dear Alex,

What is your operating system - this is a very important question in relation to the Memory Preferences.

Please try the following procures:

2- Quit all the programs in the background while you are using Wordfast Pro. (very important)
4- Ask your project manager to split the TXML files into smaller ones.
5- When you use TM Lookup you can search for exact phrases (even in quotes) rather than for very regular words.
6- If the TM is from another program, it may help to open it in Olifant (for Windows) to clean it first. To clean the TMX tags, you can use Olifant:

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

- File > Open to select the WF TM
- Edit > Select All
- Entries > Remove Codes > Remove both TMX tags and their content > OK
- Save

Also, try to delete duplicates and copy-sourced segments to make the TM smaller:

- Entries > Flag Entries > "Duplicate source and target" and "Source is the same as target".
- Click the toolbar button "Set filter for flagged entries".
- Press Ctrl+A to Select All the flagged entries.
- Delete.
- Save.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net
Collapse

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for suggestions Yasmin May 10, 2011

Thanks for your suggestions Yasmin as regards each one:

I will try this see what happens as most of the time I do work in table view.

2- Quit all the programs in the background while you are using Wordfast Pro. (very important).

The only other program I usually have working while I use Wordfast is Firefox

3- Try to allocate more RAM for Wordfast Pro application
... See more
Thanks for your suggestions Yasmin as regards each one:

I will try this see what happens as most of the time I do work in table view.

2- Quit all the programs in the background while you are using Wordfast Pro. (very important).

The only other program I usually have working while I use Wordfast is Firefox

As mentioned in my post I give Wordfast 1024MB I can't give it 1470MB because when I do I get a java error and Wordfast won't open, I have to go to wordfast.ini and change the setting back to 1024 to be able to run the program.

4- Ask your project manager to split the TXML files into smaller ones.

The problem though isn't in the amount of segments it is in the amount of segments with numbers, the more segments with numbers the slower it goes.

5- When you use TM Lookup you can search for exact phrases (even in quotes) rather than for very regular words.

I don't usually use TM lookup that much

6- If the TM is from another program, it may help to open it in Olifant (for Windows) to clean it first. To clean the TMX tags, you can use Olifant:

The TM is from Wordfast Pro and has not been used with any other programs
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
WFP version and OS? May 10, 2011

Dear Alex,

What is your operating system and WFP version, please?

Yes, please try the Text View.

HTH,
Yasmin

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version and OS May 10, 2011

I have WFP 2.4.1 (I can't yet change to 2.4.2 as my major WFP client is still using 2.4.1 and told me not to update yet).

I have Windows 7 Home Premium with all updates installed

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Me too... May 10, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:

I agree. I don't work in Wordfast Pro that often but I have also been annoyed by how slow it can be when you use the shortcuts to move between segments. And not only with big files. I am not sure what the pattern is, though, because the problem seems to be worse with certain files.

If I have a file with many segments that don't need translation, I normally use the mouse to select the next relevant segment and leave the others empty. The target file is still generated correctly even though you don't copy the source.

But obviously, it would be much better if the performance could be improved so it would be quicker to navigate between segments. In any case, next time I experience this I will also try to work in text view instead.

(Just for the record I work on a Windows 7 machine and have the newest version installed - 2.4.2. I have only used it once since I installed the newest version, though, so this might have been improved)

[Edited at 2011-05-10 17:40 GMT]

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried text view May 10, 2011

Been trying the text view and though it is quicker than the table view it still has a marked delay in moving between segments

[Edited at 2011-05-10 18:10 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Same here... May 10, 2011

Moving between segments is sometimes very slow, and what is worse, concordance search is really slow: quite often it is not shown automatically, and I need clicking the "4-arrows" icon all the time which is quite annoying.

I have the newest version (though this low performance has been observed since a longer time); my OS is Vista on one machine, and WinXP on another, and both machines have plenty of RAM and disk space.

Natalia

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:35
English to French
+ ...
agree May 10, 2011

WFP is indeed slow. Among other productivity-impacting issues .

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:35
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Same problem noted May 11, 2011

I've seen the same problem for a long time with Wordfast, and as far as I've determined, it has a lot to do with the size of the TM and/or the number of TMs used. At least for the files that I've been working with.

For instance, when working on EU texts, I need to use my EU memory (about 570,000 entries). In Wordfast Pro, it then takes 40-45 seconds to do a memory search, and it takes 3-4 seconds to go from one segment to another segment (in text mode, full memory allocation).
... See more
I've seen the same problem for a long time with Wordfast, and as far as I've determined, it has a lot to do with the size of the TM and/or the number of TMs used. At least for the files that I've been working with.

For instance, when working on EU texts, I need to use my EU memory (about 570,000 entries). In Wordfast Pro, it then takes 40-45 seconds to do a memory search, and it takes 3-4 seconds to go from one segment to another segment (in text mode, full memory allocation).
I work either in Win XP or Win 7 (dual boot), and I see no noticeable difference between Win XP and Win 7 as far as Wordfast Pro is concerned.

I tried to upgrade to the latest WFP, but the problem is still there. I also tried to split the EU memory into 6 smaller parts and load them as separate memories, but the result is the same: still 40-45 seconds for a memory search.

I always have only one memory set to be updated, so that is no factor in the delay between segments.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There is no text-view! May 11, 2011

I have no problem with WFP, but I wonder what you mean with text view. About two months ago Yasmin told me about it but it was impossible to get text view make work. Every time I select Text View in Preferences and click OK or Apply and OK, nothing happens and when I go back to Preferences either Table view or Last view used is checked again.
Since than I have updated the version to 2.4.2 and still no text view.

But as I stated, I have no problems with WFP in Table view (at
... See more
I have no problem with WFP, but I wonder what you mean with text view. About two months ago Yasmin told me about it but it was impossible to get text view make work. Every time I select Text View in Preferences and click OK or Apply and OK, nothing happens and when I go back to Preferences either Table view or Last view used is checked again.
Since than I have updated the version to 2.4.2 and still no text view.

But as I stated, I have no problems with WFP in Table view (at the moment). Windows Vista. 2 Gb RAM. Many programs open at the same time (Word, Excel, Pdf-Reader, Nokia Ovi Player, EuroTranslator, Chrome, Thunderbird etc.).

Perhaps it helps to pre-translate in Trados WB, as I always have to do (ttx from customer).
Collapse

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Activating text view May 11, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Hello Heinrich,

You can also change to text view directly from the editor window by clicking the Text tab in the bottom left corner. This works for me.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
issues May 11, 2011

Does everybody who has problems encounter them with very large files (several thousand segments) only? I've never been bothered by any such slowness. Perhaps it's because I don't work on files larger than about 2 thousand segments.

One thing that does pop up with bigger files (the 2k ones), however, is the "segment failed to expand properly" error. This also causes target segments translated from the TM earlier on to become misallocated to source segments (there is a one-segment shi
... See more
Does everybody who has problems encounter them with very large files (several thousand segments) only? I've never been bothered by any such slowness. Perhaps it's because I don't work on files larger than about 2 thousand segments.

One thing that does pop up with bigger files (the 2k ones), however, is the "segment failed to expand properly" error. This also causes target segments translated from the TM earlier on to become misallocated to source segments (there is a one-segment shift).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frustrated with how slow Wordfast Pro can be

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »