Poll: When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 28

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?".

View the poll results »



 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
N/A Sep 28

It depends on what the task is! Not so long ago, when some days I had more than one translation project, I always started with the one that seemed the most difficult. Other tasks I don’t like, such as bookkeeping, I leave to the experts…

 
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:55
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Freelancing Sep 28

Luckily we are freelancers. We don't have to accept anything we truly hate doing.

Christine Andersen
Daryo
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
 
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:55
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Break it down and beat it Sep 28

I do not accept translation tasks or paid work that I will really dread. I tell the client to find someone else. They can probably find someone who knows how to do it, or knows the subject area better than I do. All good clients respect an honest 'beyond my scope'.

Otherwise, if I can't avoid a task I am dreading, I try to work out a strategy.

Deep breath, why do I dread it? What is the problem, and do I know anyone who could help or give advice? What would they say? Or
... See more
I do not accept translation tasks or paid work that I will really dread. I tell the client to find someone else. They can probably find someone who knows how to do it, or knows the subject area better than I do. All good clients respect an honest 'beyond my scope'.

Otherwise, if I can't avoid a task I am dreading, I try to work out a strategy.

Deep breath, why do I dread it? What is the problem, and do I know anyone who could help or give advice? What would they say? Or how would they tackle it? Am I just afraid of all those people watching me? They're only human!

What is the best way to start? Is there any way to make it easier?
Should I get the worst over first, or is it better to begin from the bottom and take the edge off the biggest issue?

Am I just short of time, and need to get moving?

If you cut a job down to size, you can concentrate on the task and make progress.
▲ Collapse


Philip Lees
Yuri Larin
 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:55
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Sep 28

I simply find something - anything! - good about it and then complete it.

In regards to translation projects, I don't accept them. After all, I'm a FREElancer, free to chose what to take on and what not.


Christine Andersen
Philip Lees
Florence Risser
 
Geddy Sokolowsky
Geddy Sokolowsky
Brazil
Local time: 22:55
Member (Sep 2026)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Power through - unless I'm not ready for it Sep 28

I'm considering "task I dread" here as something that I absolutely can do, just don't particularly like doing. There's a lot of that in document translations where you have to keep up with the source document's formatting... some of these can be a bit more of a chore than usual. But with a cup of coffee and some music to help me focus, it's nothing that can't be dealt with.

But when the dreadful task in question is something you don't feel prepared for, and don't want
... See more
I'm considering "task I dread" here as something that I absolutely can do, just don't particularly like doing. There's a lot of that in document translations where you have to keep up with the source document's formatting... some of these can be a bit more of a chore than usual. But with a cup of coffee and some music to help me focus, it's nothing that can't be dealt with.

But when the dreadful task in question is something you don't feel prepared for, and don't want to do at all... I agree with the colleagues above. Unless you're sure you can do a good job despite your apprehension, it's better to just respectfully inform the client that it's beyond your scope than risk delivering subpar work because you felt forced to.
▲ Collapse


Philip Lees
Thayenga
 
Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:55
English to French
+ ...
A little at a time Sep 28

I take more breaks, and often longer ones. I get physically restless and need to get away from my desk, otherwise progress slows to a crawl anyway.

As for whether I push it off or prioritize it, it all depends on context, workload and deadlines. I might force myself to finish it before I do anything else so it feels like I am working toward a reward (even if the reward is other work or house chores), or I might start w
... See more
I take more breaks, and often longer ones. I get physically restless and need to get away from my desk, otherwise progress slows to a crawl anyway.

As for whether I push it off or prioritize it, it all depends on context, workload and deadlines. I might force myself to finish it before I do anything else so it feels like I am working toward a reward (even if the reward is other work or house chores), or I might start with the work I actually enjoy to remove temptations to do anything but the dreaded task. It's easier to "just do it" when there aren't a dozen other things I'd rather be doing.
▲ Collapse


Christine Andersen
 
Daryo
Daryo
Local time: 02:55
Serbian to English
+ ...
'Just say no!' Sep 30

As freelancer I would simply follow Nancy Reagan's advice: 'just say no!'

As (past) employee I liked challenges. The only texts I didn't want were texts that in fact no one needed 'right now' and on top of that were extremely boring. The first line of defence was to try to pass them to someone else. If that failed I would 'misplace' them at the bottom of the bottom drawer of my desk. And then wait for a reminder, that would almost never materialise.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »